la leche

Leo A. Connolly connolly at memphis.edu
Thu Feb 1 15:23:26 UTC 2001

I wrote:

>>> If anything, it's the masculine forms that need explaining.

Max Dashu replied:

> What, then, are we to make of a feminine form for "penis" in Greek (i psoli)?

Such things can never be guaranteed.  I meant to imply only that a
"natural" gender *may* play a role in gender assignment for names of
items proper to one sex only.  Obviously there is no "rule" (in any
sense of the word) that it *must* happen.  I am mildly surprised by _i
psoli_, but only mildly.

Leo Connolly