Arzawa = Razawa?

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Thu Mar 22 19:44:44 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <philjennings at juno.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 11:20 PM

[snip]

> I admit ignoring the t-r-s-k sequence.  If t-r-s-n evolved from r-s-n as I
> hypothesize (or simply wish - hypothesis is a pretty fancy name for it), then
> I'm obliged to assert that t-r-s-k had a separate evolution, or that someone
> found it meaningful to add the -k.  Kilday points out that t-r-s-k has the
> oldest attestation, and here I'm making it out to be younger and possibly
> derivative, to which I plead guilty.  With my focus on Arzawa and on dates of
> 1200 bce or before, a date of 600 bce for "Tursikina" allows for six
> centuries of change.

> Assuming an east-to-west movement of proto-Etruscan refugees, and noting that
> the t-r-s-n form is the more eastward form, my musings are at least slightly
> coherent.  Whether they correspond to reality is another story.

> I will now page among all these archives, in the suspicion that this "-k"
> issue has been dealt with at great length.

[Ed]

What I'm missing in this discussion (unless I overlooked it, in which case I
apologize) is the possibility that the t-r-s-k sequence might actually be a
t-r-s-sk sequence, with the well-known IE -sk- element for adjectives (Fales,
Faliscus). The t-r-s-n sequence might contain an -n- found in ethnonyms
etc.(Lat. -e/anus). If I'm right, we only have to consider t-r-s or t-r-r(h)
which might actually be two variants (s>r or r>s) of the same thing.

Ed. Selleslagh