[Lexicog] A prototypical blessing

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Fri Apr 23 15:57:51 UTC 2004

> Phil,
>
> I agree about the world view but probably we have to distinguish
> between words and concepts.

Yes, sometimes this is necessary, Fritz.

> Even if a word for "blessing" does not exist in Cheyenne or Nez Perce,
> I would imagine the idea of "conveying or transmitting power" exists.

Not in Cheyenne.

> I contend that "blessing" as a speech act or an action is an
> "empowering."

That makes sense to me, also, but Cheyennes don't empower people.

> In Manding languages in West Africa an interesting semantic shift
> occurred from Arabic barakat = blessing to baraka = power.
>
> Fritz Goerling
>
> P.S.: About "sin" I daresay that there is a transcultural definition
>       as a transgression/violation of ethical norms. How these norms
>       look like (like the 10 Commandments or another ethical code) and
>       what constitutes a "transgression" (or "sin") can be quite
>       different from culture to culture or from person to person.
>       Like what is a "lie" can be quite different from culture to
>       culture.

True

> Is there a prototypical "lie"?

I think there can be prototypes within each culture/worldview.

Wayne Leman
Cheyenne project

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM