[Lexicog] salutations and leave-takings

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Apr 26 15:20:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Peter Kirk wrote:
> What is lacking in Azerbaijani is an indigenous word for "please". There
> are various loan-translations of the kind you mention for Cheyenne
> salutations, but they are not in general use. When buying things in the
> bazaar everyone just says "Give me...", a plain imperative with no
> polite expression at all.

Of course, etymologically, this is just a cut down version of 'if it
please you, ...' (subjunctive).  An earlier alternative was 'I pray (beg)
thee, ...', later 'prithee, ...'.

As far as greetings, Native American languages in Plains area seem to have
greetings, but traditional greetings are often for male greeting male(s)
situations, and more general greetings are often loans boozhoo < 'bon
jour' or sound like they might be calques of 'how are you?' Formulas for
leave taking are mostly either missing or reported to be something like
'I'm going home.' I guess English 'Well, I'm off' would be equivalent.
Good manners exist, but involve things other than polite formulas.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM