[Lexicog] What is a bat?

Susan Gehr vurayav at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 13 16:03:53 UTC 2004

On 8/12/04 2:50 PM, "Fritz Goerling" <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:

> How do you name the bat in your language? And where would you put it
> in a domain dictionary?

In Karuk the bat is 'timshúkriih' which was analyzed by one speaker as from
tiim sú 'úkrii 'he is at the inside edge' (i.e. of his wings)

tíim 'edge', su' 'inside', ikriv 'to be, live'.

We've put bats in with the mammals.  I've never heard of a Karuk story
involving bats. We do have bats around here, though.

We even have a verb 'to bat (as a ball)' imthátif

unúhxiitich             kun-    imthátif    -eesh.
ball                        they    bat            FUTURE
They're going to play (lit. 'bat') baseball.

--
Susan Gehr
Karuk Language Program Director
sgehr at karuk.us