[Lexicog] The limits of illustrative sentences in bilingual dictionaries (the case of YES and JA)

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Mon Oct 18 19:47:31 UTC 2004

Thanks, Mike,

The reference is: Bartholomew, Doris A., and Louise C. Schoenhals. 1983.
Bilingual dictionaries for indigenous languages. Mexico: Summer Institute of
Linguistics.

      Fritz Goerling

  Fritz Goerling wrote:
  > I wonder what a good, useful bilingual dictionary should include
  > when it comes to illustrative sentences. What is too much and what
  > is too little?

  IIRC, there was some discussion of this topic in this list awhile
  back--you might check the archives, although I don't think it explicitly
  touched on the question of grammar vs. dictionary.

  To my mind, one of the most useful discussions of example sentences is
  in the Bartholomew/ Schoenhalls book on bilingual dictionaries that
  SIL(?) published a couple decades ago.  Things like that don't change
  over time (although of course an electonic dictionary connected to a
  concordance generator and a large corpus would change what's
  possible--but not, perhaps, the usefulness of having an expert
  pre-select and arrange the best "hits").
  --
        Mike Maxwell
        Linguistic Data Consortium
        maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu