[Lexicog] Digest Number 193 (Honorifics)

Benjamin J Barrett gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM
Mon Sep 6 23:57:34 UTC 2004

In Japanese, a sequential ranking system does not work well. Instead,
the system can be plotted against two axes, one to show politeness and
one to show honorific styles.

For verbs, the normal or non-polite style (futsuu-go) is da/iku/suru,
contrasting with polite (teinei-go) as desu/ikimasu/shimasu. Polite also
includes -san/-sama/-dono, o/go (o-cha, go-busata) for nouns, and o- XX
-gozaimasu for adjectives (rarely heard except for a few like o-atsuu
gozaimasu for it's hot). There are also regular verbs such as taberu
(eat) versus non-polite (or perhaps impolite) verbs such as kuu (eat).

The honorific (sonkei-go) axis ranges from the humble (kenson-go)
itadaku (eat) to meshiagaru (eat). The construction o- + verb stem +
suru is a humble used when doing something for the sake of another
person (o-okuri shimasu 'I will send (it for you)').

I'm not 100% sure how pronouns are classified. Taking a stab at it, ore
(I, me) is impolite, ondore (you) extremely vulgar, and watakushi (I,
me) extremely polite. I would think the pronoun shousei (I, me,
literally small life) would be a humble whereas watakushi would be
polite. Perhaps pronouns have aspects of each axis. Nanji (you) is
reserved for deity and some other unusual usages (it's used in the
translation of the Silmarillion), and chin (I, me) is reserved only for
the emperor (he now uses watashi/watakushi; chin is now relegated to
jocular usage). On a side note, when Napoleon spoke, he "used" the first
person pronoun "yo".

In Korean, post-positions have honorific forms (ek'e I think is the
subject particle corresponding to i/ga) as well. In contrast to the dual
da/desu system in Japanese, I have read that Korean has six constrasts
from ni for infants to imnida for very polite situations.

HTH
Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place (with the famous dog Pasco)
www.hiroki.us