[Lexicog] social change in lexicon

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu Aug 25 00:34:02 UTC 2005

Margaret,

I'm impressed. You do  know Erwin Pelzig. Wow! And I meant him (not being
able to
remember his first name - which might be due to advancing age). I have heard
about this German
 stand-up comic doing well in Britain. However, I have also heard that not
all Brits like
his sense of humor, especially when he makes fun of the German stereotype.
Well, if the Franconians laugh at your jokes, you have made it. By the way,
I have grown up
in Franconia and that is the only German dialect I speak.
Thanks for sharing these websites. I'll check them out. Reminds me of home,
being in
Dakar in Senegal at the moment.
This was a rich day. It's past midnight and I have to go to sleep.

Greetings,

Fritz

> Maybe you made a pun. What was it?

I thought Bill meant "conversational", but I referred to "conservational".

> By the way, what do you think of German/Franconian humor, as you live in
> Fürth?
> The Brits always say "The Germans have no sense of humor."

Do you know there's a German stand-up comic doing very well in Britain
now? I think he makes fun of the German stereotype.
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/artikel/993/54939/

People say there's no High German humour, so the fact that the
dialects have humour is overlooked.
When I spent a year in German in the 1960s, at Berlin University
followed by Erlangen, I got on much better in Berlin than Erlangen.
Now I've been in Franconia for 22 years and I have reached the point
where Franconians will laugh at my jokes, at least....

> Get to know this local Franconian matador Emil or Eugen, a great humorist,
> and let me know what you think about his sense of humor. You can ususally
> listen to him on the radio Bayern 3 on Fridays between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m.

It seems to be Erwin Pelzig. I think I have seen him on TV but not
really watched. Thanks for the tip. He seems very amusing. I just
listened to a clip about PISA:

http://www.br-online.de/bayern3/comedy/erwin-pelzig/artikel/index/index.xml

If anyone else here has an opinion on German humour, there are a
number of clips there you can listen to. And here's his own website:

http://www.pelzig.de/

Margaret

    c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.