[Lexicog] Particularity of Neapolitan grammar - origin?

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Sun Dec 11 19:00:30 UTC 2005

In many Semitic languages possessive pronouns form suffixes adjacent to
the noun (possessive) or verb (in the case of objective case),
Thus in Hebrew sifrii (ii for long i)  - my book ; 'ishti (my wife);
'ishtoo (oo for long o) his wife; ba`ali (my husband); ba`alekh (your
husband).

Similarly the same happens in other Semitic languages; I do not know
whether Naples (Neapolis) was ever under Arab rule, but Sicily and Malta
definitely were. It is worth to note that in certain time Naples was
under Aragonese (Spanish) rule and in Spanish language sometimes occurs
the use of objective pronoun in postposition to the verb (me, te, lo,
la) written as one word.

Best wishes,
Hayim

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin