[Lexicog] Equivalents for German "Heimat"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu Jun 2 18:44:17 UTC 2005

Dear Marco,

Guess what? If I chose Bolzano/Bozen (which you call "la mia citta") - which
I consider
a beautiful place - as the place to settle down in my retirement, it would
become my "Wahlheimat"
(my Heimat of choice). But I'll probably settle down in Munich which is my
Wahlheimat and
where my Heimatgemeinde (home church) is.

Ciao,
Fritz

 > By the way, where are you from in Italy (if you are Italian)?
> Would you call the place where you were born and maybe grew up
> "terra natia"?

I am from Bolzano/Bozen, at the boundary with Austria (so, a Heimat
besides a patria ;-) ), and no, I would never call it a terra natia,
because that term is archaic ("lougo di nascita" sounds too bureaucratic,
"terra natale" too solemn -- I guess I would simply say "la mia citta'"
(my city/town), which is a term I would never use for the place where I
live.)

Regards,

Marco