[Lexicog] Dictionary of a language with classifiers

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Jun 16 04:05:10 UTC 2005

Kim,

It appears that I misunderstood your use of space in iyá 'a' and iyá kap, or
else we are having font problems. (Sometimes I hate computers. Too bad we
can't clarify what the other is saying online.) On my computer the two
appear similarly to iya 'a' and iya kap, each with a space in them and an
acute accent over the first a. In this light your statement, "Our
classifiers are technically "suffixes" rather than compounds, so they're not
written with a word break" is rather confusing. I took the space to indicate
that these were phrases. If the classifiers are suffixes (written without a
space), then my suggestions are "wrong". I'm not saying that particular
solutions are right or wrong. It is more that historical conventions lead
the average user to expect certain formats to indicate certain types of
data. Most users would expect "n." to mean "this word is a noun". Subentries
are normally used for complex forms, not collocations, lexical relations, or
examples.

There are different types of classifiers. In Japanese a classifier is used
with numerals (e.g. kami yon-mai 'paper four-CL' (four sheets of paper)
where -mai is the classifier for flat objects). In this case kami is
associated with -mai and you might want to indicate this in your dictionary.
But you would not enter 'kami mai' as a subentry. Similarly we would not
enter '(two) head of cattle' '(two) stalks of celery' '(two) pieces of
paper' as subentries in an English dictionary. Instead we would enter them
as lexical relations.

However in a Bantu language the noun class prefixes are obligatory. You can
say 'muntu' (mu-ntu 'C1.SG-person') and 'bantu' (ba-ntu 'C2.PL-person'), but
you can't say 'ntu' by itself. So we give muntu as the citation form for
this word. We would not give ntu as the citation form and then give muntu
and bantu as subentries. So even though mu- indicates that ntu is in the
human class, this is not the same sort of classifier as the Japanese '-mai'
or the English 'head'.

You mention that your classifiers overlap with roots. In that way they are
more like the English 'head' than the Japanese '-mai'.

If your classifiers are non-obligatory suffixes, then you are probably right
in making them subentries, especially if they can result in a change of
meaning. In that way they are more like derivational affixes. But we are
talking about a number of very different phenomena.  I would need to know
more how your classifiers are operating morphologically and semantically to
be able to say more.

Hopefully we can bring a little more clarity to this discussion.

Ron Moe