[Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu Mar 31 11:39:46 UTC 2005

Muhammad and Hayim,

I'd be interested in knowing how "little dog" in some dialects of Arabic and
in Hebrew respectively can become
a term of endearment when used with reference to a person.* To what trait of
a person's character does it
refer to? Faithfulness? In Southern German (Bavarian) one can use "Hund"
(dog) as a complimentary
term for very smart man. The diminutive "Hundling" becomes pejorative ( a
person who acts in an
underhanded way).

Fritz  Goerling

*Or does that only apply to certain dialects of Arabic?

  Dear Alkumu:si,

  It is very true for Arabic, and in many cases for Hebrew. What is in
Arabic kulayb "little dog" is "klavlav" in Hebrew.

  But if we speak about Semitic languages, the suffixes there have more
general meaning, the most common long -i

  as suffix for formation of relative adjective -hindi:, (Indian),
andalu:si: - Andalucian, kurdi: - Kurdish, Gurdji: - Georgian,

  Farandji: - European; Inglezi - English; rusi - Russian, farsi - Persian,
arabi - Arabic and Arabian, yahu:di: - Jewish; nasrani - Christian (because
Jesus was Nazareth)

  Another way to form the adjective in Arabic is to use the participle form,
like Muslim (one who belongs to Islamic religion; lit. one who submitted
himself to God)

  One more way is to form an adjective: (A) - (I:) pattern (kabi:r - big,
great), rahi:m (merciful); kari:m (noble); sagi:r (small, young).

  There is a parallel for rahi:m - rahma:n (it occurs already in the first
sura of Koran), so -a:n is another suffix.

  I would say that use suffixes for formation of pejorative or endearing
meanings in unproductive in Semitic languages. Those are expressed by
different means.

  Pax vobiscum (ma`a as-sala:mi),

  Hayim