[Lexicog] Re: lexical phrase

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Wed Dec 6 14:52:04 UTC 2006

Mike Maxwell wrote:

> The reason 'on the one hand' or 'on the other hand' might be considered
> a lexeme is because the meaning (when used as a sentential modifier) is
> non-compositional.  If I say "On the other hand, it would be better to
> eat chocolate ice cream", it has nothing to do with the number of hands
> I do or don't have, or whether something (like melted ice cream) is on
> my hand.  And that unpredictable, idiomatic meanings is why it would be
> listed in a lexicon, and maybe in a dictionary.

The Longman Dictionary of English Idioms says the meaning of 'on (the)
one hand ... and on the other (hand) ...' is "in one case ... and in
another" and is used to emphasize the comparison between two opposite
statements, opinions, arguments, ideas, etc. This doesn't seem very
non-compositional to me. Firstly, there is the sense that 'on (the) one
hand' is the first of a pair of linguistic expressions and is properly
matched to 'on the other (hand)'. Secondly, there is the notion of
expressing a comparison. Thirdly, there is the notion that the
comparison is between two opposite statements, opinions, arguments,
ideas, etc. and so on. The LDEI also notes that the first expression 'on
the other hand' is often omitted and only 'on the other hand' is
expressed. I would say there is plenty of compositionality to the
meaning of 'on the other hand'.

John Roberts

--
John R Roberts