[Lexicog] Time is money?

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 7 02:18:57 UTC 2007

Dear Ron,

I think yours are very clever suggestions. However one should measure
what audience serves your dictionary. For us lexicographers the ideal goal is
to describe the word in all possible senses and usages. However many people
who use the dictionaries react on them the following way: it is too complicated for me, I would like something simpler. So the lexicographer works always between extremes. To achieve  perfectness  or  to simplify. Now  it is possible  to do  this  like on websites.  The standard  entry in  the body of the dictionary with additional links to etymology, semantics, phraseology and examples.

Best wishes,

Hayim Y. Sheynin

Ron Moe <ron_moe at sil.org> wrote:
Because conceptual metaphors underlie many idioms and secondary  ("metaphorical") senses, I believe we need to identify the conceptual metaphors  that exist in a language and refer to them in our dictionary entries. It might  be possible, for instance, to include an appendix that lists the conceptual  metaphors and gives a list of examples under each:

 Appendix A: Conceptual Metaphors
 1.  Time is a resource that you use.
 waste  time
 save  time
 have  time
 cost  (number) (time word), e.g. cost two hours
 invested time in
 time  to spare
 (run)  out of time

 Then  each relevant dictionary entry could reference the appendix:

 waste  v. To use something without gaining any benefit from it. 'Leaving the lights on  all night wastes electricity.' (Using the metaphor 'Time is a resource that you  use', see Appendix A) 'I don't want to waste your time, so let's get  right down to business.'

 Note that I don't  consider the second example sentence to be a separate sense. The meaning is the  same. It is just applied to time as if time was a resource. We can talk this way  in English because of the conceptual metaphor. Other languages can't. Our  conceptual metaphor enables us to include the abstract concept 'time' in the  list of possible objects of 'waste' which would otherwise be limited to concrete  resources. Consequently I don't consider 'waste time' to be an idiom, but others  might disagree with me on this point.

 Ron  Moe