[Lexicog] Translations of "El burlador de Sevilla"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu May 31 16:30:25 UTC 2007

I’d be interested in how “burlador” of Tirso de Molina’s play “El burlador
de Sevilla y Convivado de Piedra” has been translated into different
languages. “Burlador” refers to Don Juan. In German I have heard of
translations like “Der Gaukler of Sevilla
” which seems acceptable to me as
long as the accent is put on “swindler.” Another better one in German is
“Der Verführer von Sevilla
” which means “seducer”.  I’m surprized to have
found the French “abuseur”, one of its meanings being “cheat/swindler”, and
not something more direct like “séducteur.” Probably there is a double
entendre in Spanish “burlador” and French “abuseur” which allows for both
interpretations. Correct me. Now Don Juan is the type of what kind of man? I
wouldn’t put into a translation of the title of the original play “The
trickster/crook/scoundrel of Sevilla
”

Fritz Goerling