[Lexicog] Incorporating an existing English/Vernacular word list/dictionary into a dictionary project....

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 26 17:22:57 UTC 2008

Thapelo Otlogetswe wrote:

“Will marking tone therefore demand manual labour or there is an elegant !
computational way of doing it?”

Whenever some aspect of a language is unpredictable, there is no way to
record that feature in an entirely automatic way. It requires a speaker of
the language to manually indicate it. However there are ways to make this
easy. For instance if you need to mark tone on 40,000 headwords, the
following procedure would make it simpler:

1.	Generate a CV pattern field. FieldWorks can do this in a few
minutes. Then sort the database on the CV pattern field. This brings
together all those words with the same syllable structure. When you read
these words, you will be dealing with fewer tone patterns, and therefore the
decision making is easier.
2.	Indicate the grammatical category. In some languages this can be
done semi-automatically. For instance if the citation form has an
inflectional or derivational affix, in many cases the affix indicates the
grammatical category. FieldWorks enables you to filter for the affix and
then assign the correct grammatical category to each word. For instance in a
Bantu language you could assign the grammatical category to 75% of the words
in a few minutes. Once you have marked the grammatical category, you can
sort the database on the grammatical category and the CV pattern field. This
further restricts the number of tone patterns, making the decision making
even easier.
3.	Use a Find/Replace function to mark the tone on many lexemes at
once. In order to do this, your software has to enable you to work
interactively with the data. For instance Toolbox has a Replace function,
but it is not efficient to interact with it. In contrast FieldWorks has a
Replace function that works on a browse view so that you can see what it is
doing. It has a “Preview” function that shows what changes will be performed
by the Replace tool. In addition it has check boxes so that you can
eliminate exceptions to a rule. It is a little difficult to explain how this
all works in FieldWorks. But trust me, the combination of the Replace
function, the Preview function, and the checkboxes makes it very easy and
efficient to rapidly make changes to your database, such as assigning tone
marks to the citation form or a pronunciation field. These tools in
FieldWorks were specifically designed to do such work in the most efficient
way possible.

If you were to mark tone on 40,000 headwords working one by one by one, it
would probably take you nearly three weeks of difficult tedious labor.
However doing it the way I have described would probably only take you a
couple of days and the results would be much more accurate. This is why I
highly recommend FieldWorks as the best software for rapidly developing a
dictionary database. It will save you huge amounts of time and help you keep
your data consistent. We carefully thought through each task involved in
developing a dictionary and have designed tools to efficiently do each task.
One such task is the need to generate a phonemic rendering of each word from
the orthographic rendering. FieldWorks enables you to transform your
orthographic script into IPA characters and then refine the transcription
wherever the orthography under-differentiates a phonemic (or phonetic)
distinction. The phonemic rendering can then go into the Pronunciation field
and be included in the published dictionary. This process can also help you
analyze your phonology and determine where your orthography may need
revision.

Ron Moe

   _____