[Lexicog] Sprachgefuhl

Richard Rhodes rrhodes at BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Feb 23 03:17:46 UTC 2009

People say "game sense" (49 million hits on
google). And "ball sense" (13 million hits). And
there are plenty of less than professional
quality ball players who have good ball sense and
good game sense.

But ball sense doesn't really apply to golf. It
means the player knows were the ball is going to
be and so reacts appropriately, so it applies to
games in which the player must react to the path
of ball (soccer, American football, basketball,
baseball, tennis, field hockey, etc.).
(Interestingly, I had never heard "puck sense"
for ice hockey, but it gets a million hits on
google and the definition matches "ball sense".)

Game sense is about understanding the flow of the
game, and again is mostly about tactics and
players' ability to solve tactical problems.
Doesn't really apply to golf. It even seems odd
to me for tennis.

Rich Rhodes

>Scott,
>

>I wonder how you define "Sprachgefühl." That
>would help me to answer your question.
>
>I also wonder why certain words are borrowed
>from other languages. English has not
>
>borrowed "Ballgefühl" which exceptional players
>of games have where a ball plays a role
>
>(Diego Maradona, Tiger Woods, Rafael Nadal). How
>would one say "Ballgefühl" in English?
>

>Fritz Goerling
>
>Is this the wrong list to ask whether, in your opinion or research,
>Sprachgefuhl varies most by class, region, or level of education?
>
>Scott Catledge

    Richard A. Rhodes
    Department of Linguistics
    University of California