[Lexicog] power of nasal consonant

Kevin Warfel kevin_warfel@sil.org [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Tue Oct 27 15:14:29 UTC 2015

Mike Cahill has already given one example of this from the Gur language
Konni. I don’t have other examples at hand, but I believe that it is fairly
common in Gur languages of West Africa for an /r/ or an /l/ to be changed
into an /n/ when it ends up adjacent to a nasal consonant across a morpheme
boundary. The example from Konni seems to me to be quite representative of
Gur languages at least in this regard.

Kevin Warfel

Associate Dictionary and Lexicography Services Coordinator

a.k.a. Dictionary Development Coordinator

SIL International

Current technology makes it possible to provide those translating into just
about any language with both a dictionary and a thesaurus in the target
language, the standard tools of the trade for professional translators, so
why are mother-tongue translators in minority languages still expected to
do their work without these tools?  Ask me about *Rapid Word Collection*
after reading about it at rapidwords.net <http://www.rapidwords.net/>.