forwarding: Economic Value of Language Diversity

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Apr 8 13:23:39 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List 13.954 Sun Apr 7 2002

Message 1: Disc: Economic Value of Lang Diversity

From: Stefanie Herrmann <herrmann at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de> Subject: Disc:
Economic Value of Lang Diversity

I would like to comment on two details of this discussion: economy and
bio-diversity. First of all from the perspective of a cultural
anthropologist, economy is but one aspect of a culture. Now in our
"western" capitalistic culture, economy presents itself as the most
important part of culture.  And the god of progress considers all other
ways of life as underdeveloped and doomed to fade away (this is not unlike
communism viewed diversity). But this is only the inner discourse of this
particular way of life. Nevertheless even in western-Europe and north
America other parts of culture than economy play an important role. And
who knows how long our way of living will be the powerful one? People may
give up languages for a number of reasons, political pressure (up to the
menace of death for those speaking a language) was mentioned.  But there
are also reasons to cling to a language. Like for example the case of
reviving Welsh, that is doing nowadays much better than Irish, precisely
because it is needed for the Welsh identity. Apart from the economic
utility, bio-diversity was mentioned as a quasi genetic utility: survival
of the species. It is all too true that we have survived because we have
only one specification as a species and this is our adaptability or
NON-SPECIFICATION. Our ability to carve (here I had to look up in a
dictionary) our environment to our needs by means of technology and
ideology. As we can not foresee future requirements, we should not try to
control cultural or genetic diversity. Nowadays there is a tendency to try
and preserve cultures in a kind of living museum or zoo. Trying to
convince the !Kung (South African) to go and live like their ancestors
with all the thirst and hunger. This is arrogant. People will make choices
according to their needs _if_ they are in a position to do so.  And
"utility" is not the only relevant factor at all if it comes to culture,
and to language as a manifestation of culture. Not a single culture is
wholly constructed along the lines of utility aiming at pure survival.
People also need for instance aesthetics or identity. So in every respect
it is short sighted to accept only the economic argument about the
"utility" of languages. P. S. I will have to look up "utilitarism" in the
Brockhaus (German Encyclopedia).

Stefanie Herrmann Universitaet Tuebingen Germany e-mail:
herrmann at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de

Message 2: Economic Value of Language Diversity