Research ethics...

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 29 21:36:33 UTC 2002

Dear all,

One of our most dedicated elders in the community has asked me to get
some research materials back to the community, and I've found it a
difficult task.  I'm wondering if I could get any insight from the
members of this list to move this issue faster or smoother or if we could
come up with some kind of protocol when linguists/reserchers work with
communities or vice versa as a group.  I understand that this
issue includes  research ethics, ownership, safety issues regarding
research materials. The elder specifically would like to get some audio
tapes back since her mother participated in the interviews. I assume that
there was no such a thing like an informed consent back then.  I would
appreciate any inputs on this matter.  (I'm a curriculum/program
coordinator hired by the tribal government.)

Nariyo Kono, Ph.D.
Department of Culture and Heritage
The Confederated Tribes of the
Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon
P.O. Box 775 Warm Springs, Oregon 97761
Phone: (541) 553-2200; Fax: (541) 553-1899
Department of Applied Linguistics
Portland State University
P.O. Box 751 Portland, Oregon 97207-0751
Email: nariyo at mindspring.com