use of minority languages

Felicia Briscoe FBriscoe at utsa.edu
Fri Jan 9 17:51:22 UTC 2004

Stan,

I think you are so right.  The problem lies when material goods are more
easily obtained when speaking "mainstream" tongue, thus making the choice to
speak Portequese is not a free choice, but understandable in the case of
people's whose "mother tongue" is not part of the mianstream and to deny
them access to mainstream langauge in many cases is to deny them power
(political, economic, and social).  However, Skutnabb-Kangas provides a
compelling rationale about why we need a diversity of languages. What needs
to be changed is not whether or not any group of people has access to a
particular langauge, but the fact that power has come to be associated with
only a few (generally European) langauges.  As you say, I am speaking in
very general terms.