changing language policy and ideas about language

Lynn Goldstein lgoldstein at miis.edu
Mon Jan 12 15:24:04 UTC 2004

lgpolicy-list at ccat.sas.upenn.edu writes:
>I appreciate what Rachel says below--we think we have all the answers, but
>the world "out there" may not agree with us; or other attitudes have to be
>changed before popular ideas about language and language policy will
>change

>.
I appreciate this, too. I don't think we have all the answers if we don't
incorporate as part of our answers and understanding about langauge all
the different beliefs non-linguists have about language , including the
roles language plays  in their lives, and what they  do as a result of
these beliefs. it's not just about us "educating" non-linguists, it's also
us learning from non-linguists their concerns and beliefs.

Lynn Goldstein