Ethnologue & counting citizens

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 16:01:23 UTC 2005

Hi Anthea,
just a note on your last message, re Ethnologue:

> My own feeling is to concentrate on citizens, but to
> give all citizens equal treatment, regardless of
where their ancestors came from.

Keep in mind that definitions of citizenship vary
widely -- in some countries, just being born there is
not enough. I recall during the first Gulf War, for
example, hearing Kuwait praised for the high per
capita income of its citizenry -- without mention of
the fact that most Kuwaitis are not "citizens" (that
designation being reserved for people with some
connection to the royal family).
Disclaimer: I have no direct knowledge about Kuwait;
the above info is what I gleaned from secondary
sources. If someone knows better, please correct me.
Aurolyn