IFP threatens mass action against South African Broadcasting Corporation

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed May 25 13:38:06 UTC 2005

IFP threatens mass action against SABC

Mass action would follow should the South African Broadcasting Corporation
(SABC) not tend to issues the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) was dissatisfied
with, the party said on Tuesday. In a memorandum handed to the SABC after
a picket at the corporation's head office at Auckland Park, the IFP said
it would give the corporation till the end of July to "assess themselves".

Dlangezwa Mvelase, chairperson of the IFP in the Johannesburg metro, said:
"The mass action would take the form of sit-ins, marches and picketing.
What we are dissatisfied about is the SABC pushing the agenda of the ANC.
"We are demanding free political activity within the SABC. All political
parties should be treated the same. If we are not given this, the SABC is
not free."

Other issues the IFP were worried about was the SABC's language policy,
the composition of the SABC board, the broadcasting of indigenous
programmes, and the lack of local music, Mvelase said. The SABC said it
would respond to the allegations after talks with its board. - Sapa

Published on the Web by IOL on 2005-05-24 15:05:32

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=139&art_id=qw1116940144902B256#