Army Discharges Arabic-Speaking Soldier

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 13:04:21 UTC 2006

All:  I have begun to post messages with a disclaimer attached.  But I would
reiterate what others have said, namely, that issue of the dismissal of the
gay Arabic linguist is a language policy issue because gender (and sexual
preference) are, like many other issues, often intertwined with language
policy issues.  It's hard to find a language policy issue anywhere that
doesn't have a covert issue of some other kind attached; some social
scientists use this as an excuse to ignore the *language* issue in
language policy disputes, because there's always something else to focus on:
ethnicity, identity, social class, racism, whatever...

HS

members and implies neither approval, confirmation nor agreement by the
owner or sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.