allah in Malay

Alexander J. Stein alharaka at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 21:12:48 UTC 2007

Lisa,

This is absolutely correct. In the source language of Islam, Arabic,
there is no word that distinguishes the God of Christianity, Judaism,
and Islam. Allah is used by all, and the word in itself is not that
special. It literally means "The God," as opposed the indefinite
/ilaah/. It has its roots in the polytheistic deities of Arabia. For
more information on the word itself, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah. Beyond linguistics, it is the belief
in Islam that these religions all follow the same God and each religion
has been a succession in the prophecy, hence the name for the prior
monotheistic faiths, People of the Book (/Ahl Al-Kitaab/). So, this row
makes very little sense linguistically, theologically, or even logically.

_AJS