Wales: TRAIN OPERATOR TO REVIEW POLICY AMID LANGUAGE ROW

Christopher Thomas chthomas at dolphin.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 25 14:34:02 UTC 2007

I know that Wales government has in the past performed a highly watered down
version of a language audit to determine whether both Welsh and English was
used when answering the telephone and giving information at government-
sponsored facilities, especially health-care. The audit found a great deal of
variation in the order of which language was used first, which was a concern.
Does Wales continue to conduct these formal language audits on a regular basis?

Chris Allen Thomas
Educational Linguistics (Ph.D. candidate)
Graduate School of Education
University of Pennsylvania
Webpage: http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~chthomas

Quoting Harold Schiffman <hfsclpp at gmail.com>:

> TRAIN OPERATOR TO REVIEW POLICY AMID LANGUAGE ROW
> Date : 24.07.07
>
> Train operator Arriva has agreed to review its language policy after a
> row broke out over whether Welsh or English should be used first in
> announcements at the country's train stations.A group of Labour MPs
> launched a Parliamentary petition saying it would be "far more
> sensible and far more convenient for passengers" to switch the order
> so English was first on platforms in many parts of Wales.
>
> Plaid insisted it was a "deeply silly" idea that proved their new
> Assembly colleagues were anti-Welsh. But the fallout from the clash
> has sparked Arriva Trains Wales to look again at its policy. "In light
> of concerns raised, Arriva Trains Wales will look again at the order
> of Welsh and English announcements," a spokesman said. "We will do
> this in consultation with the Assembly and other stakeholders."
>
>  http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?
nodeId=161819&command=displayContent&sourceNode=161483&contentPK=17905047&folder
Pk=88500&pNodeId=161410