Ebonics: The Subject Still Stirs Strong Feelings

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:32:12 UTC 2007

Of course we need to challenge the terms. But I get tired of the
parochialism of  academics castigating themselves because of this
terminology, as if it's only an American (or British) phenomenon, when it's
been around for quite some time.  In my previous response, I could have
shown how it goes back to the French Revolution, and that the notion of
"mother tongue" also comes from that era.  One could also say the same thing
about notions of what is a "language" and what is only a "dialect" in South
Asia, to look beyond our parochial borders. So let's not be ahistorical. One
of my pet peeves is the narrow focus of most scholarship on language
policy--students in particular have to be dragged kicking and screaming to
get them to even glance at studies of other cultures, and to see how broadly
distributed these phenomena are.

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com