Conference on the Reclamation of Indigenous Languages

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:39:55 UTC 2007

Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation - Conference on the Reclamation of
Indigenous Languages

Date: 20-Feb-2008 - 22-Feb-2008
Location: Mashantucket, CT, USA
Contact Person: Deborah Gregoire
Meeting Email: LanguageConferencemptn.org
Web Site: http://MPTNLanguageConference.org<http://mptnlanguageconference.org/>

Call Deadline: 17-Aug-2007

Meeting Description:

This biennial Native - sponsored conference supports the reclamation and
preservation of indigenous languages worldwide with predominant  focus on
Native North American languages. The 2008 meeting will address the
following themes: Instructional Techniques, Linguistics in the Context of
Preservation and Reconstruction, Technological Innovations, and Artistic
Application of Language. The Call for Papers is closed however proposals
welcome for two Roundtables: Community Language  Project Policy Development,
and Dictionary Development. Most of
participants' expenses paid. Submit 2-3 paragraphs for Roundtable
consideration to Language Conference: Conferencemptn.org or call (860)
396-6104 or 396-2052.
Please include contact information. Conference URL
http://www.MPTNLanguageConference.org<http://www.mptnlanguageconference.org/>up
and running soon.

The Call for Papers is closed but we are still accepting proposals for the
Roundtables (Dictionary Development, and Community Language Project Policy
Development).

This will be the fourth biennial Conference on the Reclamation of Indigenous
Languages hosted by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation. Our conference
series serves to bring together those who work to maintain and reclaim the
indigenous languages of Native North America. We believe that our ancestral
languages can and should be spoken in our communities and we continuously
seek and support efforts toward this end. The conference planning committee,
in their selection of presenters strives to balance linguistic research,
instructional techniques, technological innovations and most recently,
indigenous languages in the context of the visual, written and performing
arts.

We invite you to share your work and in so doing, further efforts to
reclaim, perpetuate and celebrate Native North America's unique and precious
languages of heritage.

Conference Topics:

A. Instructional Techniques, such as those that focus on producing first and

second language speakers, workbooks, CDs, computer-interactive programs,
videos,
TPR, the Silent Way, Immersion Nests, etc.

B. Artistic Application of Language, such as storytelling, performing
artists,
authors and playwrights for all age groups, visual artists, etc.

C. Linguistics in the Context of Language Preservation and Reconstruction,
such as historical linguistics of Native - North America, preferably but
not limited to Algonquian languages and those of Southern New England.
Papers addressing methodologies and sources used in preservation and
reclamation projects as well as place-names' analyses sought.

D. Technological Innovations in the areas of language documentation,
databases and dictionary software, educational and instructional software,
etc.

Roundtable 1: Dictionary Development, participants and moderator sought for
this session

Roundtable 2: Language Project Policies and Protocol, participants and
moderator
sought for this session

Session Specifics:

Each presenter will be allotted a one-hour session to include a brief
question
and answer period. The roundtable sessions will include a moderator for
which
interested presenters will be considered. Presenters' expenses such as
travel,
lodging, most meals, and a small honorarium will be provided for.

Submission Guidelines:

Please submit a one-page abstract indicating which conference subject area
described above, or roundtable session, best suits your presentation to
LanguageConferencemptn.org or mail to Language Conference Team, PO Box
3060, Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation, Mashantucket, CT 06338.

Final decisions will be made in September (2007); please include detailed
contact information so that we may notify you of your status. If your
presentation is selected we will require a one page bio and/or C.V. and a
photograph, if available, to be included in our program book and
promotional material.

Additional questions may be sent to LanguageConferencemptn.org or
dgregoiremptn.org (phone: 860-396-2052). A URL entitled ''Conference on
the Reclamation of Indigenous Languages''
http://www.MPTNLanguageConference.org<http://www.mptnlanguageconference.org/>
will be accessible by by end of September 2007.

If you are not planning to submit an abstract but would like to receive
information on conference registration please send your contact information
via e-mail to cseifartmptn.org or mail to Language Conference Team, PO Box
3060,
Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation,
CT 06338.
Registration forms will also be available via the conference Web page in
September.

-- http://linguistlist.org/issues/18/18-2755.html
sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a