Afghanistan, where sword remains mightier than pen, can't even decide whether to use the Pashtu or the Dari word for 'university'

Dennis Baron debaron at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 13 22:00:26 UTC 2008

sorry -- the language on the seal was identified as Persian on the
website from which I purloined the image. guess I'll have to revise.
And I couldn't find examples of the Dari and Pashtu words in the
English-language sites I looked at. Thanks for the update. I will try
to add them, though I may only be able to add the transliterations,
given the limitations of the software we use.

DB
____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics