Critics chide Obama for everything from supporting foreign languages to having a foreign-sounding name

Dennis Baron debaron at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 24 08:00:23 UTC 2008

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

Critics chide Obama for everything from supporting foreign languages
to having a foreign-sounding name

Conservative bloggers have been attacking Democratic presidential
candidate Barack Obama foradvocating French and Spanish and for
translating his campaign slogan, “Yes we can,” into Latin. Now Obama’s
being attacked for a poster advertising a speech he’ll deliver in
Berlin on Friday, because part of the poster is in German.. . .

Speaking in Powder Springs, Georgia, earlier this month, Sen. Obama
reiterated his position that immigrants should learn English, adding,

But instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English –
they’ll learn English – you need to make sure your child can speak
Spanish. You should be thinking about how can your child become
bilingual. We should have every child speaking more than one language.

Obama praised Europeans for their knowledge of multiple languages, and
he lamented the fact that most Americans can only “go over to Europe,
and all we can say is ‘merci beaucoup.’ “

You’d think that critics who object to Spanish or French might at
least revere the classics. But Obama detractors howled with derision
when the senator appeared in June, at a meeting of Democratic
governors in Chicago, with a nameplate bearing the image of an
American eagle and the Latin tag,vero possemus, a loose translation of
the campaign slogan, “Yes we can.”

The fact that Sen. Obama doesn’t actually speak Spanish, French, Latin
or German is no consolation to the conservatives who find the fact
that he merely evokes these languages proof of his elitism. Real
Americans, in their view, want semiautomatic weapons, not Latin
slogans, German posters, or “Press ‘1’ for English,” thank you very
much....

Read the rest of this post on the Web of Language

____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics
Department of English