Message from Rosina Lippi-Green re: English with an Accent - Second Edition

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:10:44 UTC 2008

Rosina Lippi-Green <rosinalippi at pobox.com>
 English with an Accent - Second Edition

It's been a very long time since I posted here, but I'm hoping some people
will be familiar with "English with an Accent", which first came out in 1999.

Routledge has been asking me to do a revised edition, which I finally
agreed to do. I left academia in 2000, so the challenges are multiple: I'm
no longer associated with a university so I have no library privileges; I
have no graduate students to act as research assistants; and (least
important) there's nobody to underwrite the time spent.

For a couple months now I've been going over the literature, but I have
this sinking feeling I'm still missing a lot. So here's my
question/request: if you know of any studies published in the last ten
years that are relevant to the general subject area of language and
discrimination, especially in the U.S., I would love to hear about them.

If you have pdf versions of papers which you think might be of interest and
use, and if you are willing to email me the pdf, I'd be endlessly grateful.

I'm also interested in real-world examples of language-focused
discrimination that haven't been studied. If you know of anything, please
drop me an email with some basic facts so I can go searching.

Thanks for whatever help or suggestions you might be able to provide.

rosina
rosinalippi at pobox.com