Wales: Ysgol Rhoscolyn

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 13:04:57 UTC 2008

Ysgol Rhoscolyn

Information to Parents/Carers
About our school

A warm welcome

Choosing the right school for your child is one of the most important
decisions you will make as a parent. You will want to choose a school
that is safe and secure, where the children are valued and cared for.
You will want a school that has high expectations of both behaviour
and achievement. In short, you will want a learning environment that
is stimulating and which will help them to grow into happy and
confident young people.

At Rhoscolyn, we can offer all this.

The information in this prospectus aims to give you a taste of what we
can offer. It can never be a substitute for visiting the school, but
it will give you some basic information relating to all aspects of
school life.

Please come and see for yourself what we have to offer. When you do,
you will see a thriving, innovative primary school that is friendly,
secure and above all, successful.

I look forward to meeting you.

Rwth Ll Williams

About our school

Admission

The Foundation Phase

3 to 7 years

Nursery

At Rhoscolyn nursery children attend part time morning sessions in the
September following their third birthday.

Reception

The school admits first time pupils during the September following
their fourth birthday, in accordance with the LEA policy. In
accordance with the County Admissions Policy, all applications must be
submitted by March 1st and by the end of March a notice will be sent
confirming whether or not the child will be admitted.

At Ysgol Rhoscolyn we recognise the fact that young children have
already started learning well before entering early education. In the
early years, children's learning develops more rapidly than at any
other time. Children need time to play, to reflect, to repeat, and to
talk to peers and adults.

Admissions other than nursery or reception

We know that joining a new school can sometimes be a worrying
experience. We will try and do all we can to help you with the
process. If you want to apply for a place at Rhoscolyn, then you need
to contact the school secretary, who will arrange an appointment with
the Headteacher.

If you wish to apply for free school meals for your child, please ask
the school secretary for guidance.

If you are considering applying for a place for your child at our
school, then you are most welcome to look around during or after the
school day. It is advisable to make an appointment to ensure that time
will be available to answer any questions you may have.

TERM DATES AND SESSION TIMES

FOR TERM DATES PLEASE SEE APPENDIX 1

SESSION 1 9.00am 10.30am

BREAK 10.30am 10.45am

SESSION 2 10.45am 12.00pm

KS1 LUNCH 12.00pm 1.15pm

KS2 12.00pm 1.00pm

SESSION 3 1.00/1.15 2.00pm

BREAK 2.00pm 2.10pm

SESSION 4 2.10pm 3.10pm

NOTE: The school closes at 3.10pm for all pupils.

Before and after school

Children who register for our breakfast club arrive in school for 8am,
enjoy a wholesome breakfast in the school hall, and are supervised at
play by the breakfast club staff until 8.50am.

Children who choose not to attend the breakfast club arrive in school
between 8.50am and 9.00am, and are supervised by the teachers, who
endeavour to make themselves available at this time to deal with any
day to day issues or queries you may have.

We ask parents of younger children to accompany your child to the
Nursery and Reception Entrance at the rear of the school, where the
class teacher will be ready to greet the children from 8.50am. Older
children may remain on the playground without parental supervision.
Parents are asked not to accompany their child into the main building.

At then end of the school day, the younger children are accompanied to
the school gate by their teachers who will only dismiss your child
when they can see you or the nominated carer. Older children may walk
or cycle home unsupervised. Children who use the school buses are
escorted to the bus by the teachers.

Any child who is uncollected will be taken to the main entrance.
Please let us know if you are going to be late.

At Ysgol Rhoscolyn we attempt to plan experiences that will extend
this learning and plan a curriculum which is appropriate to the
child's stage of learning.

Children's interests, ideas and experiences form the basis of the
early years curriculum and learning through play is given a high
profile. Pupils are taught in a light and spacious learning
environment and are provided with activities which will stimulate
their learning and increase their knowledge and understanding of the
world. They are encouraged to use their senses, explore natural
materials and work together sharing ideas and resources.

The classroom is a pleasant and friendly learning environment in which
pupils are encouraged to work co-operatively with adults and fellow
pupils. Their opinions are valued and encouraged and their work is
displayed in and around the classroom.

Much is made of the surrounding countryside and the natural beauty of
Rhoscolyn. Pupils frequently enjoy short walks and outdoor excursions.

Early Years staff place great emphasis on the individuality of each
child and in turn our children feel proud and valued members of our
Early Years Class.

About our school

Admissions other than nursery or reception

We know that joining a new school can sometimes be a worrying
experience. We will do all we can to help you with the process. If you
want to apply for a place at Rhoscolyn, then you need to contact the
School Secretary, who will arrange an appointment with the
Headteacher.

If you are considering applying for a place for your child at our
school, then you are most welcome to look around during or after the
school day. It is advisable to make an appointment to ensure that time
will be available to answer any questions you may have.

Before and after school

Children who register for our Breakfast Club arrive in school for 8am,
enjoy a wholesome breakfast in the school hall, and are supervised at
play by the Breakfast Club staff until 8.50am.

Children who choose not to attend the Breakfast Club arrive in school
between 8.50am and 9.00am, and are supervised by the teachers, who
will endeavour to make themselves available at this time to deal with
any day to day issues or queries you may have.

Parents have a legal responsibility to ensure their child attends
school on time. Persistent lateness or absence will adversely affect
your child's learning as well as that of their classmates. Any child
who misses the beginning of the day is at an immediate disadvantage.
Please ensure that you child arrives in school before 9.00am.

We ask parents of younger children to accompany your child to the
Nursery and Reception Entrance at the rear of the school, where the
class teacher will be ready to greet the children from 8.50am. Older
children may remain on the playground without parental supervision.
Parents are asked not to accompany their child into the main building,
however the Secretary's Office is open should parents require
assistance.

At the end of the school day, the younger children are accompanied to
the school gate by their teachers who will only dismiss your child
when they can see you or the nominated carer. Older children may walk
or cycle home unsupervised. Children who use the school buses are
escorted to the bus by the teachers.

Any child who is uncollected will be taken to the main entrance to
await their parents. Please let us know if you are going to be late so
that we may alleviate your child's concerns.

About our school

Rhoscolyn promotes an approach that is learner-centred and
skills-focussed, building upon an exemplary Foundation Phase and links
effectively with a sound transition from Key Stage 2 to Key Stage 3
and the Learning Pathways programme.

The school's curriculum is designed to deliver the Government's wider
aims, including the promotion of:

Education for sustainable development and global citizenship

The world of work and entrepreneurship

Healthy eating and physical activity

Personal and Social Education

Personal and Social Education (PSE) is the process of helping learners
to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding they need to live
confident, healthy, independent lives. Learners are also helped to
clarify their personal values and attitudes in relation to those held
by other people and society in general.

The Skills Framework

The skills framework provides guidance about continuity and
progression in thinking, number, information and communication
technology (ICT) and communication for learners from 3-19 and beyond.
These are skills that will enable learners of any age to become
successful, whether in school, the workplace, at home or elsewhere and
at Rhoscolyn they are firmly embedded into the experience of learners
across the curriculum.

The framework is made up of four sections – the development of
thinking, number, ICT and communication across the curriculum. It aims
to use language in common with statements relating to other areas of
education – for example, the Foundation Phase learning outcomes and
that of the Key Skills qualifications (Levels 1 and 2) – so that each
complements and reinforces the other. The three wider Key Skills:
working with others, improving own learning and performance and
problem-solving, are integrated in the Skills Framework, most notably
in the development of thinking.

Learner Entitlement

Rhoscolyn teaches all programmes of study and frameworks in ways
appropriate to learners' developing maturities and abilities. Pupils
experience a variety of styles to extend their learning. We present
material in ways suitable for the children's age, experience,
understanding and prior achievement to engage them in the learning
process. Sufficient flexibility exists within our curriculum to meet
the needs of all learners. For pupils working at higher levels,
greater challenge is incorporated by presenting material in ways which
extend breadth and depth of study. The level of demand may also be
increased through the development and application of communication,
number, information and communication technology (ICT) and thinking
skills across the curriculum. At Rhoscolyn we provide a meaningful,
relevant and motivating curriculum for our pupils and we aim to meet
the specific needs of learners and further their all-round
development.

Curriculum

Literacy

Rhoscolyn pupils become confident, coherent and engaging speakers,
working as individuals and as members of a group. Pupils take part in
exciting drama and role-play activities, developing their experiences
from the early years with a range of colourful puppets and storybooks.
Pupils develop as active and responsive listeners in a wide range of
situations.

Children are encouraged to become fluent readers – the school's
comprehensive reading schemes provide for the needs of all our
children. They experience a progressively wide range of demanding
texts, for enjoyment and information, so that they develop into fluent
and effective readers.

We aim for our pupils to become competent writers, writing clearly and
coherently in a range of forms and for a range of purposes. Many
children enjoy participating in our monthly Young Writers'
Competition. The school is proud of its Basic Skills Agency Quality
Mark for its provision of English Literacy.

Mathematics

Our aim is for our pupils to develop positive attitudes towards
Mathematics by thinking and solving, reasoning and understanding real
life problems.

They will do this by extending their use of the number system,
counting reliably and calculating fluently with all four number
operations. We teach them problem solving using mental and written
methods of calculation, estimation strategies and the appropriate use
of calculators.

Towards the end of Key Stage 2 they are expected to be able to select,
discuss, explain and present Mathematics using an increasing range of
language, diagrams and charts.

Lessons are presented using the latest interactive technology. We aim
to make Mathematics at Rhoscolyn interesting, enjoyable and accessible
for all our pupils.

Science

Science at Rhoscolyn fosters curiosity and creativity, and is
interesting, enjoyable, relevant and challenging for pupils. We enable
learners to initiate, explore and share ideas, and extend, refine and
apply their skills, knowledge and understanding in new situations. We
allow time for thinking, peer discussion and reflection.

Pupils find out about:

The Sustainable Earth – planets in the solar system, materials around
them, and the importance of recycling…

Electricity – drawing circuit diagrams, constructing electrical
circuits and varying current…

Forces – magnets, paper aeroplanes, hot air balloons, using
forcemeters, gravity, friction, air resistance…

Sound – vibrating objects, understanding pitch and volume, how sound travels…

Light – mirrors, periscopes, shadow puppets, shadows…

Independence and Interdependence of Organisms – food chains, local
environment, nutrition, exercise, plants, minibeasts…

Curriculum

Geography

At Rhoscolyn we aim to foster in children a sense of wonder of places
and the world about them. Through the study of our Welsh locality, the
world beyond, different environments and events in the news, pupils
will develop their understanding of what places are like and how and
why they change.

In KS1 children follow a character called Nia on a journey to
different localities. Later, we look in more depth at our coastal
region and its changing landscape, rivers, weather and where people
live. By studying contrasting localities like villages in India and
Botswana, pupils become aware of different levels of economic
developments outside the United Kingdom.

History

Our aim is to guide your child on a journey through time. In KS1, work
is based on the child's experiences, covering themes such as toys,
houses, the family and transport. KS2 begin with a study of Ancient
Egyptian Civilization, pupils learn about Tutankhamun's 'curse' and
decode ancient hieroglyphs. Pupils learn about Wales in Celtic times,
comparing our lives with the way people lived in the past. Next,
pupils chart the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, investigating what
can be learnt from the grand ruins in Rome and from smaller scale
sites in our own locality. Pupils learn of the Welsh princes and their
battles against King Edward I, visiting one of his splendid North
Wales castles. Then, they discover life in Tudor times and study some
of the major changes that occurred during Queen Victoria's reign. The
historical journey ends with two modules on the twentieth century. The
first will examine aspects of the Second World War, then an
investigation of the latter part of the century, learning about the
lives of contemporary figures, the space race, and the birth of the
high-tech world in which we live.

Curriculum

Information and Communications Technology

We aim to develop in our pupils a confidence and competence in the use
of ICT, essential to their success in education and the world of work.
ICT is fully integrated into the school's curriculum, we believe that
the subject should be embedded into everyday learning, therefore
pupils are given the opportunity to develop their skills in ICT
through numeracy, literacy, science, the arts, design and technology
and humanities. Every classroom at Rhoscolyn has an interactive
whiteboard. Years 5 and 6 have a pupil / laptop ratio of 1:2.

Music

Rhoscolyn enables learners to engage with, and enjoy making music.
Pupils develop musical skills relating to the control, manipulation
and presentation of sound. These skills include singing and playing
instruments; improvising, composing and arranging music; and listening
to and appraising music. Our annual Christmas Show is one of the
highlights of the community's festive calendar.

Religious Education

RE in KS1 is practical and colourful, teaching children about people's
faiths and ways of life. Later on, Rhoscolyn engages pupils with
fundamental questions, exploring religious beliefs, teachings and
practice and encouraging personal responses. We present the beliefs of
the World's great religions, always encouraging children to draw
comparisons with the predominantly Christian locality in which they
live. Pupils learn about artefacts and places of importance to
believers and consider human experiences too.

Curriculum

Art

Creativity flourishes at Rhoscolyn, where pupils are engaged with the
work of artists, craftworkers and designers.

Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination and challenges
pupils to make judgements and practical decisions. Using a variety of
materials and processes such as, textiles, collage, 3D sculpture,
painting, printmaking, batik and sketchbook work, they communicate
their ideas and feelings through tactile, visual and sensory language.
In KS1 children develop skills in a range of media, including collage,
clay work, weaving and modelling, and always enjoy the 'finger puppet'
module! In KS2 artwork often complements work shown in local and
national art galleries - visits have included excursions to Oriel Mon
and the Tate Gallery.

Rhoscolyn prides itself on the quality of the children's artwork and
displays many outstanding pieces in its gallery and online. Artists
are regularly invited to enrich learners' experiences. For those who
want to extend themselves further, we offer a weekly after-school Art
Club. We encourage pupils to work with creative abandon whilst
following in the footsteps of Picasso, Pollock, Warhol, Miro,
Goldsworthy, Heron, Hepworth and Moore.

Curriculum

Sport

Physical Education encourages learners to explore and develop the
physical skills essential to taking part in a variety of different
activities. Building on these are opportunities to be creative and
imaginative in gymnastic and dance activities.

Through adventurous activities, they learn how to swim and feel safe
in water and how to read a map or follow trails, so that it becomes
safer to go further afield and explore the seashore and countryside.
Competitive activities offer the chance to learn games skills and play
in a team, as well as how to run faster, jump higher, and throw
further. Pupils begin to understand that physical education is about
learning how to feel healthy and stay fit while having fun, and
knowing how these different types of activities help them to stay that
way.

Every school year our Physical Education calendar includes: hockey,
football, rugby, dance, fitness, gymnastics, swimming, cricket,
basketball, netball, athletics and outdoor education. We host the
county's annual long distance running event in our extensive grounds.
During the school year we also provide opportunities for children to
attend residential courses in outdoor education.

During the course of the year, we hold after school clubs in football,
rugby, cricket and basketball. The Urdd after-school club takes
children skiing, rock climbing and canoeing amongst many more
activities.

Competitive sports are encouraged. We regularly enter teams into
rugby, football and cricket tournaments, along with the annual
swimming gala.

All aspects of Physical Education are compulsory, and an appropriate
kit is required for lessons. Trainers are required for outdoor lessons
and sessions in the Sports Hall, whilst children take part in
gymnastic and dance lessons in bare feet. A written request must be
provided by pupils who wish to be excused from a PE session for
medical reasons.

Curriculum

Design and Technology

Technology at Rhoscolyn is innovative and exciting. Pupils are made
aware of achievements in the world of design and technology and the
big ideas that have shaped the world. They are encouraged to be
creative and innovative whilst being aware of the issues relating to
sustainability and environmental issues in the twenty-first century.
Pupils enjoy designing and making fleecy hats for outdoor wear – great
for the winter weather conditions on Anglesey! Also they delight in
adapting recipes to develop healthier lifestyle choices, and create 3D
structures using pneumatic systems - always referring to the detailed
designs they will have first produced using a specialised software
package.

Including all Learners

Under the requirements of equal opportunities legislation covering
race, gender and disability at Rhoscolyn we aim:

To eliminate discrimination and harassment and promote positive attitudes.

To promote equal opportunities and encourage participation in all
areas of school life.

We believe that every learner should develop a sense of personal and
cultural identity that is receptive and respectful towards others.
Subjects are planned to develop the knowledge and understanding,
skills, values and attitudes which enable our pupils to participate in
our multi-ethnic society.

In preparing our pupils for life as global citizens, we work to reduce
environmental and social barriers and provide an inclusive curriculum
which offers opportunities for all learners to achieve in school.

We work with specialist services to ensure relevant and accessible
learning experiences for all. For pupils with disabilities, we strive
to improve access to the curriculum,

increase access to education and associated services and

provide information in a range of formats.

Curriculum

Using the Welsh Language

The Local Education Authority operates a bilingual policy in all
schools within Anglesey. The aim is to develop the ability of pupils
and students within the county to be confidently bilingual in order
that they may be full members of the bilingual society of which they
are part. Here at Rhoscolyn, we reflect and reinforce the language
policy in our administration, social life and pastoral arrangements as
well as our academic provision.

Nursery Education

To ensure, through sensitively structured provision and organisation,
that each child receives a firm foundation in Welsh in order to enable
him/ her in due course to attain the aim of full bilingualism.

KS1

To build on the Welsh language foundations laid through nursery
education, to consolidate and develop the mother tongue of children
who are Welsh learners and extend the child from a Welsh speaking
home's competence in English.

KS2

To consolidate and develop each child's Welsh and English capabilities
in all aspects, both active and receptive, so as to ensure that he/
she can speak, read and write fluently and confidently in both
languages on transferring to secondary school.

Latecomers to KS2 attend a short (6 week) course at a Welsh Language
Unit where they undergo intensive instruction in the Welsh language
designed to equip them with the language skills needed to benefit from
all that Rhoscolyn has to offer.

Your Child's Progress

Assessment

The class teacher will assess your child throughout the year, plotting
your child's development using our secure online system which allows
us to track each pupil's progress throughout his/her time at
Rhoscolyn. In addition, pupils complete written assessments to gauge
progress in literacy and numeracy at the beginning and end of each
school year. Data from these tasks assist the teachers to make
statutory assessments in the summer term of children in Year 2 and
Year 6.

ADDITIONAL NEEDS

Some children at Rhoscolyn have additional learning needs of one kind
or another. We have a number of staff who are able to support the
class teacher in meeting these needs. The school has a Special
Educational Needs co-ordinator, or SENCo who is responsible for
ensuring that these special needs are met. The SENCo works very
closely with parents to help the child as much as possible. Parents
are encouraged to share any concerns they may have about their child's
learning with the class teacher or SENCo.

The School Community

Home-School Agreements

We have a Home-School Agreement that we ask all parents to sign. It is
a statement of our aims and values, outlining everyone's
responsibilities regarding your child's education. A copy of the
Home-School Agreement can be found in the pocket at the end of this
prospectus.

Governors

The Governing Body of the school are all volunteers who meet regularly
to support the Headteacher in the leadership and management of the
school. Our governors are all representatives of the local community,
parents, teachers, councillors and local businesses.

A list of the current Governing Body can be found in the pocket at the
end of this prospectus.

Children

We believe that the children play a key role in the development of the
school. We regularly consult them on matters and are keen to find out
their opinions. We have an active School Council that consists of
elected members from different year groups. They meet regularly with
the Deputy Headteacher to discuss matters and report directly to the
Headteacher.

Welfare and Safety

Behaviour

We aim for all our children to be well-behaved at all times, with good
self-discipline. To do this we need to work in partnership with
parents. To support this, we have a positive behaviour management
policy, which highlights the school rules, along with systems of
rewards to encourage good behaviour. If a child breaks a school rule,
a detailed list of sanctions clearly outlines the appropriate action
to follow.

Standards of good behaviour are expected at all times. All children
are reminded that bullying and racism are not tolerated at school.

Medicines

If your child is well enough to attend school but still needs to take
medicine, the staff are not permitted to administer it. Generally, if
a medicine needs to be taken 3 times a day, it can be given at home
before school and again when your child comes home (with the third
dose before bed). If you do need to come to the school to give your
child medicine during the day, please contact the Headteacher.

If your child needs an inhaler pump, then please inform the
Headteacher in writing. The inhaler must remain with your child at all
times, with his/ her name and Year clearly displayed.

Illness at school

We have a team of trained first aiders at the school who can deal with
minor injuries. If your child is taken ill or has an accident at
school, we shall contact you. It is vitally important that the school
has a current address and telephone number/ mobile number where
parents / carers may be contacted in case of emergency. If we are
unable to contact you or your representative, we shall act in the best
interests of your child. This may involve taking them to hospital.

Illness at home

If your child is taken ill at home and is unable to attend school for
any reason please inform us as soon as possible via the school
secretary or answerphone.

Safety

Parents who drive their children to school are not permitted to park
on the yellow lines outside school (including bus bays). To do so is
illegal and dangerous for our children. We often have visits from the
police to enforce restrictions.

No dogs are permitted in the school grounds. Smoking is strictly prohibited.

Pastoral

It is very important to us that your child is always happy whilst at
Rhoscolyn. If for any reason, you wish to discuss any concerns you may
have about your child with a teacher, please do so. If a problem
arises at home which may affect your child's education, again, please
come and talk to us in confidence.

School Nurse

We have a team of school nurses who regularly visit the school to
carry out a range of hearing, vision and dental tests. Parents are
always informed in advance and may withdraw their child from the
medical if they wish.

General Information

Attendance

All school age children are required by law to attend school at all
times. Parents who do not send their children to school will be
referred to the Educational Welfare Officer who may decide to visit
the home to interview the parent/carer. Attendance registers are
checked very carefully by the Educational Welfare Officer on a regular
basis.

If your child is absent, the school will decide whether it is
'authorised' or 'unauthorised'. Any absence that is not valid (e.g.
going shopping, staying at home for a birthday, going on holiday
without the Headteacher's permission) is marked as 'unauthorised'.

Valid reasons for 'authorised' absences include: illness, medical or
dental appointments, family bereavements, or any leave granted by the
Headteacher.

Absence In Term Time

In the unlikely event that you need to take your child out of school
during term time, you must write to the Headteacher asking for
permission. Taking your child out of school for a family holiday
during term time is strongly discouraged as it will disrupt your
child's education. If the Headteacher decides to give you permission,
then he will write to you to let you know.

Punctuality

Parents have a legal responsibility to ensure their child attends
school on time. It is essential that children are punctual and attend
regularly. Persistent lateness or absence will adversely affect your
child's learning as well as their classmates'. Any child that misses
the beginning of the day is at an immediate disadvantage. Please
ensure that you child arrives in school before 9.00am.

It is very important that children are collected from school at
3:10pm. If you know you are going to be unavoidably late, please let
us know so that a special arrangement can be made. Any child who is
not collected by 3.40pm may be taken to the Social Services Department
for Uncollected Children.

Parents should be aware that the school cannot be responsible for
supervising children left unattended on the premises, except in the
ten minute period before the beginning of the school day.

Children's Property

We expect the children to learn to take responsibility for their
property and respect one another's. To help us with this, please make
sure:

* All clothing and equipment is clearly marked with your child's name.

* Your child does not bring to school any item that is not necessary
(such as toys, mobile phones etc.).

* Your child reports to his/her teacher any item that is missing. We
will return to your child any lost item that has a name on it. All
un-named items will be taken to Lost Property.

* Your child asks to look for lost items in the Lost Property
collection. At the end of each term, any uncollected items are
recycled.

Making complaints

Should you be unhappy about anything at Rhoscolyn, you should always
discuss it in the first instance with the class teacher. If you are
not happy with the outcome then you can make an appointment with the
Headteacher. If your complaint has still not been resolved to your
satisfaction, then you may contact the chairperson of the governing
body. This can be done in writing by leaving a letter in the school
post box, addressed to the Chair of Governors, c/o Ysgol Rhoscolyn. A
copy of the complaints procedure is available upon request.

Travelling to school

Rhoscolyn has transport provision from the Valley district and
Holyhead area daily.

The LEA provides free school transport for full time pupils aged 4-11
years as follows.

for primary school pupils residing 1.5 miles or more from the school
in whose catchment area they reside

For pupils with special educational needs or on medical grounds or
other individual circumstances, which the LEA considers, make free
transport necessary.

For pupils who attend a school which is not their catchment area
school if that is the nearest school to the home, and if the distance
from home to the school is 2 miles or more for pupils under 8 years
old or 3 miles or more for pupils aged 8 years or older.

Except for those children in (iii) above it is expected for a child to
walk a reasonable distance to meet any transport provided.

Primary school pupils living within 1.5 miles of school

Transport is provided at a reduced cost of 10 pence per journey for
pupils who live within 1.5 miles of school.

Attending a school other than the school serving the catchment area in
which they reside

Pupils who are granted permission to attend a school other than the
school serving the catchment area in which they reside are normally
required to make their own transport arrangements and to meet the cost
involved. The LEA will consider applications in respect of such pupils
for permission to take up vacant seats on school contract vehicles at
a cost, which corresponds, to the cost of public transport. (This
arrangement is not available to pupils who have the use of public
service transport). The cost of public transport is currently 80p
return per pupil, per day.

Transport is not provided for part time nursery pupils.

Enquiries regarding any matter relating to the provision of school
transport should be made to the Transport Officer at the Education
Office.

ATTENDANCE DATA 2005/6

ATTENDANCE AUTHORISED ABSENCE UNAUTHORISED

NURSERY/RECEPTION 94% 4.3% 1.7%

KS1 94% 6% 0%

KS2 94% 4.6% 1.4%

NATIONAL CURRICULUM ASSESSMENT RESULTS FOR KS1 AND 2, INCLUDING COMPARABLE DATA

The medium of instruction

English, Science and Mathematics are taught through the medium of
English. The Arts, Humanities and Technology are taught bilingually.

At Rhoscolyn we ensure that each pupil uses both languages as a medium
of learning in varying degrees according to the needs of each
individual.

Homework

At Rhoscolyn we believe that homework can enhance the quality of a
child's education. Children are required to complete a task at home to
complement what they have been learning in class.

Sex education

In Key Stage 1, children learn all about themselves and why they are
special. They learn about life cycles of plants and animals and the
differences between themselves and others. Throughout all of this,
children learn about the importance of a healthy lifestyle, personal
hygiene, diet, rest and personal safety.

As they get older, their sex education is linked to the work they do
in Personal, Social, Health Education and Citizenship (PSHEC).
Children begin to ask questions about themselves and are allowed to do
so in a supportive and sensitive environment. When the children enter
Year 6, they will begin to learn about the basic facts of human
reproduction, using appropriate video films and support and advice
from the school nurse.

Parents have the right to withdraw their child from specific elements
of the Sex Education program but must do so in writing. The
Headteacher will then arrange a meeting to discuss the matter with
you.

Assembly

We believe assemblies play an important part of a child's life in the
school community. An assembly takes place every day, either for the
whole school or in class. We aim to incorporate the moral and
religious principles that are held in common by religions, while
maintaining the broadly Christian approach that is required by law.
Children are encouraged to take an active part in our assemblies and
sometimes lead them as part of a class assembly.

Parents may withdraw their child wholly or partly from attending any
RE or collective worship. A request must be made in writing to the
Headteacher who will invite you to discuss the matter to avoid
misunderstanding:

the religious issues about which a parent would object the child being taught

the practical implications of withdrawal

the circumstances in which it would be reasonable to accommodate parents wishes

if a parent will require any advanced notice of such issue in the
future and if so, how much

Educational visits and extra curricular instruction

Rhoscolyn provides the best possible educational opportunities. We
believe that day to day education should be free of any compulsory
charge to parents and guardians. We are eager to make the most of our
rich local environment, our heritage and the excellent facilities on
offer in large cities by educating our pupils outside the classroom
and school's perimeters.

At Rhoscolyn we recognise that some of the activities that will enrich
your child's time with us will need to be supported by financial
contributions in whole or in part from parents. Rhoscolyn's concern is
to keep financial contributions to a reasonable minimum and to ensure
as far as possible that all children are able to take part,
irrespective of their circumstances. For visits outside school time
parents will be charged for all allowable costs.
Parents of children who chose to undertake extra instrumental lessons
will be charged at a subsidised cost.
A full charge will be made for the loss or damage to books or
educational equipment.

Rhoscolyn pupils produce many examples of first class art and design
products. Pupils develop their entrepreneurial skills by selling
Artwork in the school gallery. Parents who wish to possess these
finished products or prints will be charged accordingly!

Your Child's Progress

Assessment

The class teacher will assess your child throughout the year, plotting
your child's development using our secure online system which allows
us to track each pupil's progress throughout his/her time at
Rhoscolyn. In addition, pupils complete written assessments to gauge
progress in literacy and numeracy at the beginning and end of each
school year. Data from these tasks assist the teachers to make
statutory assessments in the summer term of children in Year 2 and
Year 6.

Annual Reports

You will receive an annual report every July, detailing the progress
your child has made during the year. The report covers each of the
National Curriculum subjects and identifies targets for improvement
for the following year. At the end of Year 2 and Year 6, the report
also contains details of your child's statutory assessment level.

Open Evenings

You will be invited to a termly meeting to discuss your child's
progress with the class teacher. These meetings are held in the
evening and are a very important part of your child's education. In
the summer term, you will be given the opportunity of discussing your
child's annual report. Parents are of course always welcome to discuss
matters with their class teacher at other times during the year but
are requested to arrange an appointment beforehand. We want to work
closely with parents and be partners in the learning process, so that
we can provide your child with the best possible education.

Additional Needs

Some children at Rhoscolyn have additional learning needs of one kind
or another. We have a number of staff who are able to support the
class teacher in meeting these needs. The school has a Special
Educational Needs Co-ordinator, or SENCo who is responsible for
ensuring that these special needs are met. The SENCo works very
closely with parents to help the child as much as possible. Parents
are encouraged to share any concerns they may have about their child's
learning with the class teacher or SENCo.

The School Community

Home-School Agreements

We have a Home-School Agreement that we ask all parents to sign. It is
a statement of our aims and values, outlining everyone's
responsibilities regarding your child's education. A copy of the
Home-School Agreement can be obtained from the school office.

Governors

The Governing Body of the school are all volunteers who meet regularly
to support the Headteacher in the leadership and management of the
school. Our governors are all representatives of the local community,
parents, teachers, councillors and local businesses.

Children

We believe that the children play a key role in the development of the
school. We regularly consult them on matters and are keen to find out
their opinions. We have an active School Council that consists of
elected members from different year groups. They meet regularly with
the Deputy Headteacher to discuss matters and report directly to the
Headteacher and Governors.

Our extensive grounds

Our grounds provide the ideal canvas for creative play, nature
studies, growing plants and vegetables and are considered extensions
to our classrooms. Each class tends the gardens in turn, gaining
valuable insight and knowledge of horticultural issues. The gardens
are supported by the School's Garden Army of Volunteers, and Rhoscolyn
currently houses:

a living willow dragon, a wildlife garden,

Kitchen garden, a wetland area and seaside garden.

We are proud to have achieved gold medal status with Gwynedd and
Anglesey's Green Schools.

[...]

dose before bed). If you do need the school to give your child
medicine during the day, please contact the Headteacher.

If your child needs an inhaler pump, then please inform the
Headteacher in writing. The inhaler must remain with your child at all
times, with his/ her name and Year clearly displayed.

Safety

Parents who drive their children to school are not permitted to park
on the yellow lines outside school (including bus bays). To do so is
illegal and dangerous for our children. We often have visits from the
police to enforce restrictions.

No dogs are permitted in the school grounds. Smoking is strictly
prohibited. The school undertakes a full risk assessment of the site
annually.

School Nurse

We have a team of school nurses who regularly visit the school to
carry out a range of hearing, vision and dental tests. Parents are
always informed in advance and may withdraw their child from the
medical if they wish.

Illness at school

We have a team of trained first aiders at the school who can deal with
minor injuries. If your child is taken ill or has an accident at
school, we shall contact you using the contact numbers provided by you
on the SIMS form which you are required to complete when your child
enters school for the first time. Parents are requested to inform the
School Secretary to update the contact numbers when necessary. It is
vitally important that the school has a current address and telephone
number/ mobile number where parents / carers may be contacted in case
of emergency. If we are unable to contact you or your representative,
we shall act in the best interests of your child. This may involve
taking them to hospital.

Illness at home

If your child is taken ill at home and is unable to attend school for
any reason please inform us as soon as possible via the school
secretary, answerphone or e-mail.

Pastoral

It is very important to us that your child is happy whilst at
[...]

then she will write to you to let you know.

Children's Property

We expect the children to learn to take responsibility for their
property and respect that of others. To help us with this, please make
sure:

* All clothing and equipment is clearly marked with your child's name.

* Your child does not bring to school any item that is not necessary
(such as toys, mobile phones etc.).

* Your child reports to his/her teacher any item that is missing. We
will return to your child any lost item that has a name on it. All
un-named items will be taken to Lost Property.

Your child asks to look for lost items in the Lost Property
collection. At the end of each term, any uncollected items are
recycled.

Uniform

Ysgol Rhoscolyn has a school uniform which Governors strongly
encourage compliance with.

Girls
Navy tunic, skirt or school trousers
Yellow polo shirt
Navy Blue cardigan/jumper/sweatshirt
Blue/White or Yellow/White check dress
Fleece (outdoor wear only)

Boys
Black/Navy school trousers or shorts
Yellow polo shirt
Navy blue jumper/sweatshirt
Fleece (outdoor wear only)

Rhoscolyn School Uniform is available from the School Office and M and
E Stores of Holyhead . Please contact the School

Secretary for further information.

PE kit

Shorts or tracksuit bottoms, T-shirt, trainers

General Information

Making complaints

Should you be unhappy about anything at Rhoscolyn, you should always
discuss it in the first instance with the class teacher. If you are
not happy with the outcome then you can make an appointment with the
Headteacher. If your complaint has still not been resolved, then you
[...]

transport should be made to the Transport Officer at Llangefni.

Arrange a Visit

Please contact the school on

01407 860264

or e-mail

pennaeth.rhoscolyn at ynysmon.gov.uk

or write to the Headteacher

Miss Rwth Lloyd Williams

Ysgol Rhoscolyn

Rhoscolyn

Holyhead

Anglesey

LL65 2DX

to arrange a visit to Ysgol Rhoscolyn

Older Post Home dyddiadur_diary
18.6.08 Ymweliad Traeth BL12_ YR 12 Beach Trip, Criced_Cricket V Thomas Ellis
19.6.08 Celf gyda Sandy Balfour_Art talk by Sandy Balfour
23.6.08 Meithrin Newydd_Visit by new Nursery pupils
25.6.08 Canwio-Kayaking BL6, Ymweliad YU Caergybi High School Visit
26.6.08 Mabolgampau_Sports Day (27?)
30.6.08 D Ymweliad Gorsaf Dan_ R Fire Station Visit
2.7.08 Trip BL3-6 Conwy Visit YR3-6
3.7.08 Canwio-Kayaking BL6
4.7.08 Ffair Haf_Summer Fair
7.7.08 Wythnos Uwchradd_Secondary School Week Noson Rhieni_Parents'
Eve M/N 1 3 5
8.7.08 Noson Rhieni_Parents' Eve D/R 2 4 6
9.7.08 Criced_Cricket V Llanfawr
10.7.08 Canwio-Kayaking BL6
14.7.08 Sgio Bl 4_Yr 4 Skiing PYB
16.7.08 Canwio_Kayaking BL6
18.7.08 Diwrnod olaf y tymor, Last day of term
21.7.08 Gwyliau'r Haf_Summer Holidays