The semantics of politics: defining the real "real" America

Dennis Baron debaron at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 23 04:48:08 UTC 2008

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

The semantics of politics: defining the real "real" America

The real meaning of the word "real" in the phrase real America became
a focus of the presidential campaign this week after Republican vice-
presidential candidate Sarah Palin told a North Carolina rally that
some parts of the country are more real than others.

Palin said, "We believe that the best of America is in these small
towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of
what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard-working,
very patriotic, very pro-America areas of this great nation."

Although Palin later apologized for this remark, which suggests that
the parts of America not on her campaign tour aren't real and
certainly aren't pro-American, she went on to tell a crowd at Findlay
University, in Ohio, "The best of America is not gathered in
Washington, D.C."

Deepening this perceived rift between a pro-America "real America" and
an anti-America "not-real-America," Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann
questioned Sen. Barack Obama's patriotism and called for an
investigation into whether other members of Congress are "pro-America"
or "anti-America." And Bachmann's Republican colleague Rep. Robin
Hayes told an election rally that "liberals hate real Americans that
work and accomplish and achieve and believe in God."

find out if the real America exists ... read the rest of the post on
the Web of Language

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics
Department of English