Jobs: Anthropological Linguistics: Asst Prof, San Diego State University, CA, USA

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 13:44:43 UTC 2008

Anthropological Linguistics: Asst Prof, San Diego State University, CA, USA

University or Organization: San Diego State University
Department: Anthropology
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~anthro/
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse analysis,
language renewal, preservation

The Department of Anthropology at San Diego State University invites
applications for a tenure track faculty appointment in linguistic
anthropology at the Assistant Professor rank to begin August 2009, Ph.D. in
Anthropology required. We seek candidates with active projects relating to
discourse analysis, language renewal, preservation, or maintenance that
will complement our developing emphasis in applied anthropology. Candidates
should have strengths both in descriptive linguistics and in sociocultural
anthropology. Candidates will be expected to teach a basic course in
descriptive linguistics as well as a course in the ethnography of their
area of regional interest, language and culture, applied linguistic
anthropology, and related cultural or linguistic topics in the department's
new state-of-the-art Discourse Analysis Lab.

Preference will be given to candidates whose geographic focus is on the
Pacific Rim, specifically Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, the Southwestern
U. S., California, Mexico, or ethnic populations from these areas in
Southern California. A strong record of research, publications,
collaborations within and outside the academic community, and acquisition
of external funding should be evident. Candidates should show evidence of
success in working with a diverse student population and in relating to
community groups. We are especially interested in candidates who can
involve our students in research and who are prepared to participate in
joint projects in the department or university. We are a department
committed to the four-field approach and we seek a candidate who also
supports the four-field model.

The search committee will begin screening applications on November 1, 2008.
Salary commensurate with experience.

Applications, including letter stating qualifications, vita, three letters
of recommendation, and the most recent semester's teaching evaluation
numeric scores and written comments should be sent to the email address
provided below.

San Diego State University is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national
origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital
status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran
status.

Application Deadline: 01-Nov-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
Professor Philip Greenfeld
Linguistic Anthropology Search Chair
Department of Anthropology, San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Dr
San Diego, CA 92182-6040
USA
Contact Information: