Cartoons related to the topic of "language policy"

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 19:31:25 UTC 2008

All,

In consultation with some members of this list, I have recently
created a page devoted to
the topic of cartoons and other "public" images related to the topic
of language policy.
It's located at http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/clpp/images/cartoons/cartoons.html

I will add other images as they become available; if any of you have
any favorites you would
like to send me, please do so.  Some of these images may, however, be
somewhat offensive to members of certain groups;
I include them because they're of interest as we consider "popular"
notions of language and
policy, even if we don't agree with them.  (I am NOT including and of
the Danish cartoons that made
fun of the prophet Mohammed.)

Some of them may in fact be primarily "political" rather than
primarily about "language policy" and
if I get enough images in that category, I may create a separate page
of "political" cartoons that
have something to do with language.  One example on this (new) page is
the cartoon showing Bush
and Gore discussing (hah!) the pronunciation of the word "nuclear".

I'm sure some of you will have some strong reactions to these images.

H. Schiffman