[lg policy] Bangladesh: 25, 000 primary school teachers to be appointed soon

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 24 15:58:08 UTC 2009

25,000 pry teachers to be appointed soon

UNB, Dhaka

Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid yesterday on Tuesday said the
government would soon appoint another 25,000 primary school teachers
for the improvement of primary education in the country. "We have
recently appointed some 20,000 teachers for primary education while we
are taking preparations to appoint another 25,000 primary school
teachers," he said at the inaugural session of the 8th International
Language and Development Conference. The three-day conference at
Sonargaon Hotel was organized by British Council in partnership with
the Ministries of Education and Foreign Affairs, Department for
International Development (DFID) Bangladesh, University Grants
Commission (UGC) and Institute of Education and Research (IER) of
Dhaka University.

British High Commissioner Stephen Evans, University Grants Commission
Chairman Prof Nazrul Islam and DFID Bangladesh Representative Chris
Austin, among others, also spoke at the inaugural session chaired by
British Council Director Charles Nuttall.
Speaking as chief guest, Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid said:
"We address issues and challenges related to language policy, gender
and cultural identity. Language forms part of the backbone of our
society, of our country and us, as individuals."

The government focuses on country's development incorporating
technology in teaching methods, he said. Nahid said: "Already we are
proud to have Bangla sms and Bangla keyboards, crucial in
strengthening our approach of achieving a Digital Bangladesh."
He informed that audio visual learning materials are now available in
Bangla, thus widening the net where even diaspora communities abroad
can take advantage of learning skills in Bangla. Addressing the
session as special guest, British High Commissioner in Dhaka Stephen
Evans said language is not only for communication but for science and
technology.

Emphasizing on ICT, he said information technology (IT) is the key to
global development while English is the key of IT. UGC chairman Prof
Nazrul Islam said: "Language is and will always be part of who we are,
what we are and who we should aspire to be."
The UGC, he said, is willing to developing the country's education,
especially higher education, based on traditional values through
international language.  Some 220 participants from home and abroad
are taking part in the conference. Prof Chirstopher Kennedy of
Birmingham University presented the keynote on the inaugural day.

The conference has a strong focus on providing a forum for examining
important issues related to language policy, learning and teaching in
the context of the developing world and, in particular, from the
perspective of policy makers, language and literacy educators,
development professional and donors. Talking to the reporters after
the conference, the Education Minister disclosed that the government
plans to increase the basic salary of about one lakh non-government
primary school teachers to that of the Government primary school
teachers. Replying to a question, he said the Madrasah students would
have to be given modern education along side the religious studies.

http://nation.ittefaq.com/issues/2009/06/24/news0905.htm