[lg policy] Revising our freedom: Digital archeology and Jefferson ’s rough draft of the Declaration of Independence

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Tue Jul 6 21:23:17 UTC 2010

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

Revising our freedom: Digital archeology and Jefferson’s rough draft
of the Declaration of Independence

On the last page of the rough draft of the Declaration of
Independence, Thomas Jefferson wrote “fellow-subjects,” then thought
better of a phrase that evoked the very monarch he was challenging and
changed the words to “fellow-citizens.” It’s no surprise that
Jefferson was a writer who revised: every writer tweaks and fiddles,
and a declaration of independence should be worded just right. What’s
interesting about this particular edit is what Jefferson changed, how
he changed it, and how that change came to light.

In a list of the colonies’ grievances against King George III
Jefferson wrote, “he has incited treasonable insurrections of our
fellow-subjects, with the allurements of forfeiture and confiscation
of our property.” But the future president, whose image now graces the
two-dollar bill, must have realized right away that fellow-subjects
was the language of monarchy, not democracy, because “while the ink
was still wet” Jefferson took out subjects and put in citizens.

Read the rest of this post on the Web of Language: http://bit.ly/weblan
____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics