[lg policy] (US): Policy Briefing: LANGUAGE LEARNING FOR A GLOBAL AGE:

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 26 14:34:25 UTC 2010

learning as a priority and to give our children the lan-guage skills
they need to succeed in a global environment.
Tuesday, July 20th; 1-5:00 pm
US Capitol Building; Senate Visitors Center 209/208
LANGUAGE LEARNING FOR A GLOBAL AGE:

Tuesday, July 20th; 1-5:00 pm
US Capitol Building; Senate Visitors Center 209

The Asia Society Partnership for Global Learning, National Education
Association, Committee for Economic Devel-opment, American Council on
the Teaching of Foreign Languages, and Joint National Committee on
Languages will host a policy summit featuring speakers from the
business, education, security and intelligence communities to discuss
the urgent need to expand our citizens' proficiency in a wide range of
world languages, starting in the early grades.

Representative Holt and others will be introducing the “Excellence and
Innovation in Language Learning Act” in the coming weeks in order to
ensure the reauthorization of ESEA includes a focus on globally
competent graduates. The president has set the goal that by 2020
America will regain its first in the world status by having the
highest percent-age of college graduates. It is crucial that our
students not only graduate college but they do so ready to compete in
an increasingly global economy. While America finds itself on an
increasingly competitive playing field, our students' chances at
becoming globally competent are decreasing and they are losing
opportunities to their counterparts in other countries. Without
international knowledge and language skills students enter college and
the workforce ill-prepared to succeed in a global economy. At the same
time our lack of understanding of world culture and languages
threatens our national security and our capability to address global
challenges.

As US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has aptly stated, “We must
improve language learning and international education at all levels if
our nation is to continue to lead in the global economy; to help bring
security and stability to the world; and to build stronger and more
productive ties with our neighbors.”

Agenda:
1:00-1:30: Why Languages are Crucial to the Success of American
Students in a Global Era Vivien Stewart, Senior Advisor, Asia Society
John Wilson, Executive Director, NEA Jean Adilifu, Assistant Principal
for Language Arts, Medgar Evers College Preparatory School
1:30-2:30: The Business Perspective: Knowledge of World Languages and
the Emerging Global Competition Panel moderated by Charlie Kolb,
President, Committee on Economic Development
2:30-3:30: Preparing the Next Generation: National Security and Global
Diplomacy Panel moderated by Professor Dan E. Davidson, CEO of
American Councils for International Education and Elected President of
JNCL-NCLIS
3:30-5:00: Congressional Champion Perspectives Rep. Rush Holt Rep.
Judy Chu Rep. Paul Tonko
Across the Country: International Studies Schools Network (ISSN) and
Chinese Language Initiatives Tony Jackson, Vice President of Education
, Asia Society Vivien Stewart, Senior Advisor, Asia Society
Please join us to discuss the crucial role federal, state, and local
policymakers can play in the reauthorization of the Elementary and
Secondary Education Act to include language learning as a priority and
--
http://www.languagepolicy.org/documents/Language%20Learning%20Policy%20Briefing.pdf

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)