[lg policy] Plaid MEP, Jill Evans heralds Historic day for Welsh language in the European Parliament

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 5 15:25:01 UTC 2010

Plaid MEP, Jill Evans heralds Historic day for Welsh language in the
European Parliament
10:30am Thursday 4th March 2010

The Welsh language takes another step to becoming an official language
of the EU today (Thursday) with Welsh translation being used for the
first time at the European Parliament. Plaid MEP, Jill Evans will be
speaking in Welsh, with translation, in a seminar on language policy.
The event, called Language diversity: A Challenge for Europe, is
organised by the European Free Alliance Group in the European
Parliament, of which Jill Evans MEP is President. Mrs Evans believes
that this historic step for the Welsh language could be a springboard
for Welsh to be recognised as an official EU language. She said: "I am
delighted to be the first MEP to speak the Welsh language with
interpretation in the European Parliament.

This is a historic day. We have campaigned long and hard for
recognition of our languages in the parliament and this is another
step forward. "Currently Welsh enjoys a semi-official status after a
long hard campaign. It is now my goal to use this historic day to push
for Welsh to be a fully recognised EU language."  Mrs Evans added that
the EU could develop a better relationship with its citizens by using
the languages people actually speak.  "The discrimination against some
languages has to end so that there is equality for all people in the
EU," she said. "Our event will set this issue firmly on the agenda of
Parliament."

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/5038617.Historic_day_for_Welsh_language_in_European_Parliament/

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)