[lg policy] PhD. Programs

Joseph Lo Bianco j.lobianco at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 16 03:30:59 UTC 2010

Richard

We don't have 'graduate programs' offering PhD's in the taught mode used
in North America.  We have a thesis only program over 3 years full time,
6 years part time.  Here at Melbourne there are Masters level subjects
on language planning (I am teaching one this evening in fact) but for
PhD studies we have students enrolled under supervision doing theses on
various language planning themes, either wholly or in part.  For
example, among my PhD students at present one is doing her PhD on
language planning in education in East Timor, another on Cambodia and
the effects of foreign assistance on language choices,  one each on
Malaysia and China.

I hope this is of some use. Joe

NEW BOOKS
Lo Bianco, Orton and Gao, (2009), China and English: Globalisation and
Dilemmas of Identity.  UK: Multilingual Matters

Lo Bianco, J. (2009), Second Languages and Australian Schooling.
Australian Council for Educational Research

Joseph Lo Bianco, AM, FAHA, FACE

Professor of Language and Literacy Education

Associate Dean (Global Engagement)

President, Australian Academy of the Humanities

Melbourne Graduate School of Education

The University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3010 VIC Australia

Tel: +613 8344 8346

Fax:+613 8344 8612

MOB: 0407 798 978

EMAIL: j.lobianco at unimelb.edu.au