[lg policy] PhD. Programs

Christopher Kennedy C.J.KENNEDY at BHAM.AC.UK
Wed Mar 17 10:22:34 UTC 2010

Richard
Same as Joe
We offer MA with options in language policy
PhD both campus and distance modes with language policy a supervision topic
Best
Chris

Chris Kennedy
CELS
University of Birmingham
UK
________________________________
From: lgpolicy-list-bounces at groups.sas.upenn.edu [lgpolicy-list-bounces at groups.sas.upenn.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Lo Bianco [j.lobianco at unimelb.edu.au]
Sent: 16 March 2010 03:30
To: Language Policy List
Subject: RE: [lg policy] PhD. Programs

Richard

We don’t have ‘graduate programs’ offering PhD’s in the taught mode used in North America.  We have a thesis only program over 3 years full time, 6 years part time.  Here at Melbourne there are Masters level subjects on language planning (I am teaching one this evening in fact) but for PhD studies we have students enrolled under supervision doing theses on various language planning themes, either wholly or in part.  For example, among my PhD students at present one is doing her PhD on language planning in education in East Timor, another on Cambodia and the effects of foreign assistance on language choices,  one each on Malaysia and China.

I hope this is of some use. Joe

NEW BOOKS
Lo Bianco, Orton and Gao, (2009), China and English: Globalisation and Dilemmas of Identity.  UK: Multilingual Matters

Lo Bianco, J. (2009), Second Languages and Australian Schooling.  Australian Council for Educational Research
Joseph Lo Bianco, AM, FAHA, FACE
Professor of Language and Literacy Education
Associate Dean (Global Engagement)
President, Australian Academy of the Humanities
Melbourne Graduate School of Education
The University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3010 VIC Australia
Tel: +613 8344 8346
Fax:+613 8344 8612
MOB: 0407 798 978
EMAIL: j.lobianco at unimelb.edu.au