[lg policy] US: Teaching Creole for a cause

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 13 21:27:13 UTC 2010

 Forwarded From:  edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

CNN.com

Teaching Creole for a cause

When Max Adrien first heard that a massive earthquake had leveled
Port-au-Prince, Haiti, it hit close to home.

His brother lives in Haiti, and thankfully survived the January 12
disaster unharmed.

Adrien's first instinct was to help his home country.

"I said to myself, 'I need to go to Haiti.'"

After speaking to his brother, he realized that he would need a skill
that was in immediate demand. Otherwise he would just be in the way of
other relief efforts.

So he came up with a unique idea.

"I decided to give Haiti what I have, which is teaching," said Adrien,
who is a French professor at Hamline University in St. Paul,
Minnesota. "I don't think I can give Haiti a better gift."

Full story:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/05/11/haiti.teaching.creole/

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)