[lg policy] Edling Digest, Vol 32, Issue 5

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 14 14:02:43 UTC 2010

 Forwarded From:  <edling-request at lists.sis.utsa.edu>

Today's Topics:

  1. Taiwan now a key Chinese learning camp center (Francis Hult)
  2. US: Program uses cyberspace to reach in-demand Chinese
     instructors (Francis Hult)
  3. US: Sign Language Fosters Better Speech (Francis Hult)
  4. NFLC Language Opportunities (Francis Hult)
  5. Talking seriously with children is good for their language
     proficiency (Francis Hult)

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 17:38:16 -0500
From: Francis Hult <francis.hult at utsa.edu>
Subject: [Edling] Taiwan now a key Chinese learning camp center
To: <edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu>

The China Post

Taiwan now a key Chinese learning camp center

More schools and agencies in Taiwan are offering compact
Chinese-learning and Taiwan cultural summer camps to attract overseas
students to the island as Chinamania in recent years is drawing a
growing number of people from the West to the Greater China area to
learn Chinese.

Without a doubt the country faces strong competitions from the other
side of the strait. Some businesses in the mainland provide summer
camps that combine language learning with visits to attractions like
the World Expo in Shanghai. Others, with subsidies from

Overseas China associations, are putting up really attractive prices.

In response, Taiwan is hoping that its status as a democracy and home
to the best preserved Chinese culture and artifacts in the world can
help make it the Chinese summer camp destination of choice for most
foreigners.

Full story:

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2010/05/10/255817/Taiwan-now.htm

Message: 2