[lg policy] Marco Rubio Airs Spanish-Language Ad, Despite Promoting English-Only Policies

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 29 13:37:22 UTC 2010

Marco Rubio Airs Spanish-Language Ad, Despite Promoting English-Only
Policies<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/28/marco-rubio-spanish-language-ad-english-only_n_740517.html>

 [image: Rubio]
 Marco Rubio

 Florida's GOP Senate nominee Marco Rubio, "looking to
solidify<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42759.html>his
robust support among Hispanic voters," is out with his first
Spanish-language ad, despite the fact that he has repeatedly advocated
English-only policies.

In the new ad, called
"Padres<http://www.marcorubio.com/rubio-for-senate-releases-new-tv-ad-%E2%80%9Cpadres%E2%80%9D/>,"
Rubio "talks about his parents' sacrifices and the importance of protecting
the American dream by changing the direction Washington is taking our
country." Politico reports that the ad will run in Florida markets that have
heavy Hispanic populations<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42759.html>.
The script of the ad:

My parents came to this great country and worked very hard. They made many
sacrifices so I could live the American dream. For that I will be eternally
grateful. Unfortunately that dream is threatened by the actions of some
politicians in Washington.

I'm Marco Rubio and I approve this message because I will work so that our
children and grandchildren have the opportunity to live out their dreams.

*WATCH:*

Rubio has said that he believes English should be the official
language<http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2009/06/17/marco-rubio-english-immigration/>of
the United States. "We have to have a
common language that unites the
people<http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2009/06/rubio-demint-parse-immigration-stances.html>,''
he said in 2009. "I'm not in favor of banning other languages, but my name
is spelled the same way in Spanish as it is in English." He reiterated that
position<http://www.postonpolitics.com/2010/09/crist-meek-rubio-clash-in-first-senate-debate/comment-page-1/>in
a recent debate on the Spanish-language network Univision.

Rubio isn't the only
politician<http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/21/romney-spanish/>pushing
English-only policies while trying to reach out to the
Spanish-speaking population, and often, the messages are different depending
on the language of the media market. In California, GOP gubernatorial
candidate Meg Whitman put up Spanish-language
billboards<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=67389>saying
she would have voted against Prop. 187 -- which would have rendered
undocumented immigrants ineligible for all state social
services<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,981536-2,00.html>--
and opposed Arizona's controversial immigration law SB-1070. In an
interview with the conservative English-language America's Morning News,
however, Whitman said that while she doesn't think SB-1070 is right for
California, she believes it should stand in
Arizona<http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2010/07/whitman-arizona-immigration-la.html>
.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/28/marco-rubio-spanish-language-ad-english-only_n_740517.html