[lg policy] A request

Christina Paulston paulston at PITT.EDU
Mon Apr 11 21:48:45 UTC 2011

Are we having fun yet?  Dear Mr Zaidi, I did not intend to be libelous
and insulting but merely responding to your " request [for] more
enlightenment on it".  If you have taken my enlightenment, such as it
was without knowing the intent, purpose, genre, stance or  ideology of
your scholarship, amiss  I am most sorry.  But you see, it is exactly
academics - at least in America - that can argue about facts, data,
and theories without taking such discussions  personally.  We find
them useful.  I refer several times to certain areas of disagreements
between scholars  -- it is a fact of our life.  I prefer to think that
times have changed since Kipling wrote about East and West that
"never the twain shall meet".  But you can be right about that when
you say we live in different worlds , and you can be right about the
Ethnologue's figures. But I don't have to believe it without being
insulting.  I shall write the editor and ask how accurate they take
the Pakistan data to be.   It is the primary English language resource
on data about the world's languages as you know.   If you want to
discuss census data, we can do that too.
	If I were you, I would not bother wasting your time on writing
rejoinders. They never achieve anything except amusement to the
readers.  A civil question whether you are certain of your data
merely requires a "yes, I am"  and documentation of same.
	I am simply writing this note to say I am sorry if I have upset you
which seems to be the case.  It was not my intention. Christina