[lg policy] Power and Sociolinguistics

Rodney Hopson hopson at DUQ.EDU
Thu Apr 14 19:37:35 UTC 2011

Thanks, Gareth, for your note.  I too have been bridging ways of examining
and theorizing power from a sociolinguistic perspective, especially in
thinking about comparative language policy and planning efforts.  For that,
there is plenty to draw on, especially those that espouse the historical
structural approach.  I won’t go into detail with too many references, but
here are a few (certainly not exhaustive and without appearing
self-congratulatory):

Hopson, R. K. (2005). Paradox of English- only in post- independent Namibia:
Toward whose

education for all? In B. Brock- Utne & R. K. Hopson. (eds), Languages of
instruction for

African emancipation: Focus on postcolonial contexts and considerations (pp.
89–118). Cape

Town/Dar es Salaam: Centre for Advanced Studies of African Society/Mkuki na
Nyota.

McCarty, T. L. (2004). Dangerous difference: A critical- historical analysis
of language education

policies in the United States. In J.W. Tollefson & A.B.M. Tsui (eds), Medium
of

instruction policies: Which agenda? Whose agenda? (pp. 71–93) Mahwah, NJ:
Lawrence

Erlbaum.

Ricento, T. (2000). Ideology, politics, and language policies: Focus on
English. Philadelphia,

PA: John Benjamins.

Tollefson, J. W. (1991). Planning language, planning inequality: Language
policy in the community.

New York, NY: Longman.

Tollefson, J. W. (ed.) (2002). Language policies in education: Critical
issues. Mahwah, NJ:

Lawrence Erlbaum.

Tollefson, J. W. (2006). Critical theory in language policy. In T. Ricento
(ed.), An introduction

to language policy: Theory and method (pp. 42–59). Malden, MA: Blackwell.

Wiley, T.G. (1999). Comparative historical analysis of US language policy
and language

planning: Extending the foundations. In T. Huebner & K. Davis (eds),
Sociopolitical perspectives

on language policy and planning in the USA (pp. 17–37). Philadelphia, PA:
John

Benjamins.

Then again, there are others who explore power in language ideologies who
may or may not call out HSA particularly, such as:

Canagarajah, A. S. (ed.) (2005). Reclaiming the local in language policy and
practice.

Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Hill, J. H. (2001). The racializing function of language panics. In R. D.
González & I. Melis

(eds), Language ideologies: Critical perspectives on the Official English
movement (pp.

245–267). Urbana, IL and Mahwah, NJ: National Council of Teachers of English
and

Lawrence Erlbaum.

Schieffelin, B., Woolard, K. A., & Kroskrity, P. V. (eds) (1998). Language
ideologies: Practice

and theory. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Hope this helps keep the discussion going.

Best,

RKH