[lg policy] asymmetric bilingual interactions

mostari hind hmostari at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 24 01:21:33 UTC 2011

Dear Alejandro,

Your obseravtions on bilingual discourse is quite interesting and it does exist whatever the type of languae pairs are concerned . The rules of appropriateness , the context , the degree of formality between the locutors and the attitudes towards the varieties or languages used , all impact the use of distinct varieties or mixed ones .
Myers Scotton( 1997) Social Motivations of Code Switching , provides a thorough explanation and a clear docortication of all the components present in a given discourse .

Dr Mostari

________________________________
From: Harold Schiffman <haroldfs at gmail.com>
To: lp <lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:24 PM
Subject: [lg policy] asymmetric bilingual interactions

All,

I'm forwarding this to our list from the linganth listserv--there's
been a thread
discussing what you call it when speaker A speaks to speaker B in A-ish,
and B responds in B-ish.  VArious people have suggested various terms for
this. If you can't see all the postings on this thread, I can try to
find the archive
for this server and pass them along.

HS