[lg policy] Re: EU Civil Society Platform on Multilingualism Report published

Davyth Hicks davyth.hicks at EUROLANG.NET
Mon Aug 29 14:51:59 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

The EU Civil Society Platform on Multilingualism (CSPM), comprising the
main language and culture NGOs in the EU, has published its Report and
recommendations to the European Commission, member states and regional
authorities.

It makes important policy recommendations to the EU in support of
regional, minority, constitutional and smaller state languages. These are:
•       European level language planning to promote linguistic equality;
•       Direct support for endangered languages;
•       The establishment of a European linguistic observatory to
collect linguistic data and to act as a watchdog over language use;
•       European language ombudsman;
•       To work towards an EU Directive to prohibit linguistic
discrimination.

The Report is published on the Commission’s website:
http://ec.europa.eu/education/languages/news/news5090_en.htm
<https://webmail.europarl.europa.eu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://ec.europa.eu/education/languages/news/news5090_en.htm>

Furthermore, it recommends that education and public services should
become multilingual to boost Europe’s language skills, sustain Europe’s
economies, and to cater for increasingly diverse societies.

The Report was drawn up in consultation with language and culture NGOs
and stakeholders from across Europe in surveys conducted by the 29
Platform members. It represents the views from a broad range of
organisations such as the British Council and EUNIC (who include the
Goethe Institute and Alliance Française as members), to the Association
of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE), and the Conseil Européen des
Associations de Traducteurs Littéraires (CEATL).

The Civil Society Platform on Multilingualism was launched by the
European Commission in October 2009 in order to submit a set of
recommendations, after consultation, to influence policy making at EU,
Member State and regional level, and to help design the financial
instruments for the new generation of funding programmes (2014-2020).

Best regards,

Davyth Hicks

Dr. Davyth Hicks
Eurolang / Secretariat for the European Parliament Intergroup for
Traditional Minorities, National Communities and Languages.