[lg policy] Montreal: Starting at Home: A Revival of Cree Culture

Gareth Price gareth.price at DUKE.EDU
Thu Jul 28 02:18:08 UTC 2011

The Lac La Ronge Indian Band is attempting to revive Woodland Cree
language and culture, and has begun a Cree immersion program and
annual cultural camp at Bell’s Point Elementary School.

The atmosphere is festive, but officials say the camp is about
something much deeper. It’s one part of a major push by the Lac La
Ronge Indian Band — and a number of school divisions and First Nations
— to revive the Cree language and traditions.

“We want to save the Cree language and culture and this is how we plan
to do it,” said Minnie McKenzie, co-ordinator and curriculum developer
for the Gift of Language and Culture program.

“The old people are impressed with the amount the students are learning.”

First Nations languages have been fading for decades. Residential
schools, including those attended by Lac La Ronge band members, often
prohibited students from speaking anything but English.

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/life/Starting+home+revival+Cree+culture/5150327/story.html#ixzz1TMX2zioE

Read more:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Starting+home+revival+Cree+culture/5150327/story.html
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/life/Starting+home+revival+Cree+culture/5150327/story.html#ixzz1TMN6rVBV